Is there a way to get more recent builds for OS X 10.6.8

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
seedy

Is there a way to get more recent builds for OS X 10.6.8

Post by seedy »

As the title says looking for retro builds for my antiquated OS. There used to be someone building Firefox for older OS versions...
LordOfTheBored

Re: Is there a way to get more recent builds for OS X 10.6.8

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Unfortunately, I don't believe anyone's doing builds of Seamonkey for older systems.

OSX 10.6 means you're using an x86 "Mac". But apparently, 10.6 is the last of the OSX versions that has support for running PPC apps on Intel platforms, which is good. It increases your options.

Apparently, the Firefox fork TenFourFox, despite targeting PowerPC systems exclusively, does work on 10.6, although they make no guarantees. As they put it, "TenFourFox is not officially supported on Intel Macs. However, many users report the G3 version appears to work for them, but slowly, because it must run under Rosetta."
And TenFourFox is still being updated, with the most recent release just last month. That might be your best bet for a modern-ish browser.
https://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
seedy

Post by seedy »

Thank you, Ten four Fox was what I was trying to remember.

I'm running SM 2.42a2, it's fine and works with some converted FF plugins.

Have been thinking that I should look into an update. Wondering if it's possible to build more recent versions to work on this OS. I would have to learn how to build, tho.
frg

Post by frg »

> Wondering if it's possible to build more recent versions to work on this OS.

Not easy. I wouldn't want to tackle it. We even needed to backport fixes with removals for no longer supported versions to make 2.49.5 working with 10.14 and many fixes for 10.7 where previously removed in Gecko. 10.15 will bring another bunch of problems.
seedy

Post by seedy »

Thank you frg.