Can I give extra email account its own profile

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Orca Set

Can I give extra email account its own profile

Post by Orca Set »

I created a profile for one of my email addresses. Because I could no longer find how to create a new profile, I thought that adding an email would be the same as creating a new email. This caused both email accounts to be under the same profile. I want each account to have it's own profile and wanted to ask if it's possible to export the additional account to its own profile or to at least shift the Local Folders to a new profile?

I'm grateful for any help on this.
DanRaisch

Re: Can I give extra email account its own profile

Post by DanRaisch »

To create a new profile, close Thunderbird. Launch the profile manager dialogue by entering the following into the Windows run dialogue. (Access that by pressing the Windows key and the "R" key at the same time.)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p

Be sure to include the "-p" at the end of that command and the space between the close quote character and the hyphen.

In that profile manager, click on "Create Profile" and follow the prompts to create the new profile and add the desired account to it. The same email account can be access from more than one profile.

See this article for more information on creating a new profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager (Note that the Knowledgebase server seems to be down right now so you might need to wait a bit and check this link later.)

How to transfer data to the account in the new profile will depend on how the account is set up in the original profile. What protocol is used, as noted under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue?
tanstaafl

Re: Can I give extra email account its own profile

Post by tanstaafl »

There is another way to run the profile manager that might be easier, that I only recently heard about. Click on help -> troubleshooting information -> about:profiles.

I lightly edited http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager to mention it. The KB article needs a lot of rework to make it easier to read.