The End

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

The End

Post by kerz »

Well, the time has come unfortunately. I unfortunately no longer have time to keep the site running (as you may have noticed). I'll be moving the site into readonly mode, to prepare to archive it in the next little while, starting with the KB, then the Forums. It's been a pleasure serving you for the last 21 years, but all good things must come to an end. Special thanks to the moderators who have hung on for so long, and everyone else who continues to post and chat.

jason
Last edited by tanstaafl on March 1st, 2020, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Copied original to Site Discussion forum after 5 months. Locked/shrunk original. Tanstaafl
James

The End -14

Post by James »

Oh wow .. Is it time or money or both?

hmm I guess the SUMO forums is going to get the traffic from here that is if people are willing to use a Firefox Account just to post on the SUMO site.
tanstaafl

Re: The End

Post by tanstaafl »

Frank's suggestion of using OSL's managed hosting makes a lot of sense. Kerz has been extremely hands off most of the time. We could get by with an admin that mainly just chose replacement moderators as needed. I wish he had discussed his plans beforehand with the moderators.

I'll miss this community.
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

Howdy folks, just a few answers. Unfortunately due to the size and age of the current set of forums, I'm not sure OSU is all that interested in continuing to host them without someone owning the actual software to run them. I'm working with them to host an archive of them, but need to start winding down things like databases and dynamic code, as I just don't have time anymore. I will miss you all here as well. If you're interested, I've created https://reddit.com/r/mozillazine/ which I'd be happy to open to others. I find reddit to be a much better interface these days rather than these old forums, hopefully you'll give it a try as well.

jason
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

kerz wrote:Howdy folks, just a few answers. Unfortunately due to the size and age of the current set of forums, I'm not sure OSU is all that interested in continuing to host them without someone owning the actual software to run them.
Just transfer ownership, as I imagine Chris Nelson did with you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MozillaZine
...but need to start winding down things like databases and dynamic code, as I just don't have time anymore.
Wouldn't it be far more time/work efficient just to do nothing instead?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

Sorry, by owning I mean someone who knows PHP, MySQL, etc who can patch both the machines and the software itself as new versions come out. Just leaving something running on the internet is a bad idea, and not something that OSU supports, which is why we're here now (I agree with them). The reason keeping MZ alive is because of how much legacy there is. If someone is interested in figuring out a new forum that they'd like me to point at, happy to do so. I can not however transfer the current data to a new owner, because of the complexities of that (user data sharing, etc).

jason
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

kerz wrote:Sorry, by owning I mean someone who knows PHP, MySQL, etc who can patch both the machines and the software itself as new versions come out. Just leaving something running on the internet is a bad idea, and not something that OSU supports, which is why we're here now (I agree with them). The reason keeping MZ alive is because of how much legacy there is. If someone is interested in figuring out a new forum that they'd like me to point at, happy to do so. I can not however transfer the current data to a new owner, because of the complexities of that (user data sharing, etc).

jason

Will the forum threads and articles be archived where they are still accessible and searchable online?

What is the problem with transferring ownership. Is ownership of the data in an entity or an individual? You are concerned about legal liability of transferring anonymous user data? or transferring parts of background user data like real names and email addresses?
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

Both. Yes, plan is to move the entire content base to static hosting.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

kerz wrote:... plan is to move the entire content base to static hosting.
Jason, from reading your previous replies, I think the 2 questions I have are these -

#1. Do you personally want mozillaZine to exist and carry on into the future?

#2. If so, are you prepared to work with the community here and with OSL to make that happen?

I ask that, firstly, because the Open Source Labs at Oregon State University may well be quite keen to see probably the oldest Open Source products discussion forum on the entire Internet carry on as before. i.e. it proves that Open Source is here to stay and not some relic of the past to be only shown as a museum piece.

Secondly, I ask because if you do not actually want the site to carry on at all, then all the good suggestions we make here are not going to succeed, are they?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
IanN_MZ

Post by IanN_MZ »

I have run and maintained phpBB powered forums before, but what else is involved? How is the hosting / domain name paid for?
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Much of the stuff is outdated, although the current data is priceless.

I've put an announcement in virtualdr.com and sevenforums.com for anyone who might help save the site or start a new one.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on September 28th, 2019, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

probably better off to start Fresh IMO as some of the stuff is Outdated but i kinda wouldnt be surprised to see Neowin forums get more action with Firefox related stuff, there's already a ( Firefox.Next ) Thread there
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Just looked at Neowin, and they have only one forum for all of Windows, presumably XP-->10. There are also forums for cars, sports and gaming. I don't think they'll set up separate forums for FF, TB, SM, 3rd Party Builds, Extensions, etc. like we have here. I'm not likely to contract someone who can help me tweak my css to customize my Firefox.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Kerz,

I've been around as a member since 2002 and a lurker for many years prior.... you are not the first administrator of MozillaZine. Is it not possible for you to transition this forum to new management instead?
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
kalliopi_

Post by kalliopi_ »

Hello. I made an account here today to say thank you for this project and express sadness that it will end.

I've used the knowledge base heavily and it has been helpful beyond measure. Hopefully it will prove possible to act on Frank Lion's suggestion and shift to OSU Open Source Lab's managed hosting rather than shut everything down.

Best wishes - and again, thank you for the many years of Mozillazine.