select, but don't open?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
danll

select, but don't open?

Post by danll »

So I'd like to understand how to select one or more e-mails WITHOUT opening them. Kinda strange. This has never been an annoyance to me, but something has changed in my TB setup, such that every time now I select and highlight an e-mail, it pops open. Is there some setting that somehow got mis-set? For example, I'd like to select a number of e-mails to move them, or delete them, but when I do ALL of them first pop open in separate tabs. To do those tasks, I sure don't need to open and display each e-mail.

Mac OS 10.11.6, TB 68.1.0.
DanRaisch

Re: select, but don't open?

Post by DanRaisch »

That sounds more like a mouse issue (too sensitive) than it does a Thunderbird issue.

Still, does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
danll

Post by danll »

Interesting. In fact, I tried it with another mouse, and the e-mails stopped popping open in separate tabs.

Now, I should have been more specific. What was happening was that when I selected an e-mail, the e-mail popped open in another tab. Obviously, when you select an e-mail, it should pop open in the same tab. So yes, it sounds like with my original mouse, when I click, it's really double-clicking!

Thank you for this. Time to get a new mouse!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Obviously, when you select an e-mail, it should pop open in the same tab.
Well, that is one choice. Look under Tools->Options->Display->Advanced for the three "Open message in" options.
danll

Post by danll »

I think that "Open message in" option applies to a double click, which is what my original mouse seemed to be doing by itself. I have ""Open messages in" selected to "A new tab", but with my replacement mouse, it works like it always did, and just does that when I double-click. If I single-click, the e-mail just opens in the panel below the list.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Agreed. I was just pointing out that "Open in the same tab" was only one of the available options when a message is double clicked in the list display.
danll

Post by danll »

Yes, that's a good point, but I would like to retain the capability of using a double-click to open in a new tab. I need a new mouse. Thanks again for insisting that this problem was a mouse issue. Exactly right.