AT&T Yahoo Email Changes

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Dritz

AT&T Yahoo Email Changes

Post by Dritz »

Hi all,
Have any of you received the following email?

"Hi AT&T Yahoo Mail member,

Good news! There’s a new way to set up your AT&T email account in email apps that will keep your information even more secure. Please update or upgrade your email apps IMMEDIATELY. Failure to do so will interrupt your access to your email account.

Learn how to update your settings and apps.

Thanks for choosing us, AT&T"

I'm confused by it and can't seem to find answers as to how this affects me as a SeaMonkey user. I get my email both on my cell phone and my laptop (via SM). I'm just wondering if anyone can explain, and the email isn't a scam. :-k
kerft

Re: AT&T Yahoo Email Changes

Post by kerft »

The discussion here may help: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055083
The email is not a scam. I do not know if Seamonkey supports oauth2 for yahoo or at&t. This bug added it to Thunderbird - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1293958
If it does not you can create a "secure mail key" to login, it replaces your normal password I think.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

My ISP is ATT and I have two swbell.net accounts plus a gmail account and a compuserve email account.

What exactly is affected with my SeaMonkey access for these four accounts?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kerft

Post by kerft »

Here is the information on the official at&t site: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.ht ... /KM1240462
The first line summary is "We’re enhancing the security of AT&T email. Soon you’ll have to use either OAuth or a secure mail key to get your AT&T email through an email app."
I believe Yahoo / At&t runs all of those email accounts (swbell and compuserve) except for gmail, so this applies to those 3 not the gmail one.
If Seamonkey supports oauth, you can use it. If not, you will they say soon have to do the secure mail key. If email client access fails, you will still be able to access the accounts on webmail - by going to the at&t email website.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks for replying.

Yes, swbell is an ATT email account.

Why do you say compuserve email (run by AOL) would be affected?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kerft

Post by kerft »

I can't say for sure, but Verizon bought Aol (Compuserve) and also bought Yahoo. Before that, AT&T partnered with Yahoo for Yahoo to supply their email. So, one might guess it has all been combined and is all run by Verizon using the Yahoo infrastructure (since that was originally the biggest). However this could be wrong. A Yahoo email account did not appear to get the same warning.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Similarly, there has been no warning to Compuserve. Only to ATT accounts.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Post by frg »

I am putting https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1293958 in 2.53. I am unable to test it. Bills current build is from 09/22. Next build should have it.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Hopefully, SM 2.53 will be viable for me and I'll be able to figure how to use the feature you added.

Wasn't there some comment(s) here that cautioned against advancing past SM 2.49.5 for some reason?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kerft

Post by kerft »

Thanks for adding yahoo oauth! According to here https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1269328 it will work for yahoo, but it will not work for at&t yahoo since at&t has not provided their key.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

What a mess! I tried following some directions for this whole secure mail key and I couldn't find what I was looking for. In the meantime, I got locked out of the MyAT&T website but only on SeaMonkey. I can get in just fine through Chrome so it's not a password problem. And, it's not that I'm locked out since I can get in. This happened yesterday so I waited overnight hoping it would heal itself. One suggestion was to do a CTRL+shift+del to clear the cookies (and cache) which I did and then restarted and I'm still blocked. It's like there's something in SM that the website is not liking now. Any ideas?
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

My two swbell.net emails accounts are still working fine as are my other email accounts operating under the AT&T ISP.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

My two pacbell.net email accounts are also working fine as well as two other non-AT&T email accounts under my browser. The problem is with the MyAT&T website where I normally go to pay my bills for example, both my pots lines and another account for my ISP bill. I really think the problem is SM because I'm having a couple of other hiccups too.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I wonder if the fact that my swbell.net accounts are still working means things should continue to be fine!?!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete