Mail use "secure mail key"?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Justinh

Mail use "secure mail key"?

Post by Justinh »

AT&T just informed me I have to use OAuth or a secure mail key to access e-mail via an app. Mail doesn't support Oath, but I can't tell if it can support a 'key'. Does anyone know and how to implement?
kerft

Re: Mail use "secure mail key"?

Post by kerft »

This was written for Thunderbird but it should work and be the same for Seamonkey https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1269328
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

If ATT is the ISP...

Is this problem only with ATT accounts? Or is it applicable to other email accounts that SeaMonkey is used for (e.g. Compuserve)?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

kerft wrote:This was written for Thunderbird but it should work and be the same for Seamonkey https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1269328
Thanks, Kerft. From what I could find I didn't realize it was just a new password. I was looking for some UI that was especially for a 'key'.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Peter Creasey wrote:If ATT is the ISP...

Is this problem only with ATT accounts? Or is it applicable to other email accounts that SeaMonkey is used for (e.g. Compuserve)?
Only AT&T has said anything. I can't speak for other e-mail services. However, it sounds like it will become the norm, or at least an option.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Interestingly, my two swbell.net email accounts still work fine with SeaMonkey. Likewise my other email accounts (including Compuserve) which operate under the AT&T ISP.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Mine still work, but AT&T says that soon they won't w/o this update. In my searching for answer I saw forum posts about this from years ago, so maybe they are phasing in the change.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Yes, I wondered if this is the same thing as the security measures initiated many moons ago.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Now we have trouble! How do I store the POP or SMTP password? I can't find a place to enter it in the mail account settings. I don't want to have to paste this crazy key in every time I have to login.

I also see that SMTP settings allow for OAuth2, but I don't know how to use it - maybe it is no different from the user's perspective?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There is no place to enter the password in settings. The password is requested in a dialogue when Thunderbird attempts to log onto the servers. There is an option in that dialogue to retain the password for automatic entry in future log-ins.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

DanRaisch wrote:There is no place to enter the password in settings. The password is requested in a dialogue when Thunderbird attempts to log onto the servers. There is an option in that dialogue to retain the password for automatic entry in future log-ins.
There is no option to save the password on the dialogue for SeaMonkey mail.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Justinh wrote:There is no option to save the password on the dialogue for SeaMonkey mail.
Edit > Preferences > Privacy & Security > Passwords > Password Manager
...and then tick "Remember Passwords".

If that doesn't do it, then I bet you're using a really old Complete Theme.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Thanks, Frank!

I'm starting to think this whole thing is a fraud. SM outbound supports OAuth2, but I get an error saying the server doesn't support OAuth. Then, I can login using either my 'secure mail key' or my password. So I didn't gain anything. It supposedly affects only e-mail clients, not the website or anything else. I don't see how this change would help prevent anything. ATT said the key would be enforced today, but I'm still using my password.