How to stop Private Mode

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ndebord

How to stop Private Mode

Post by ndebord »

Somehow I have managed to change the default behavior of SeaMonkey. On some sites, like Bloomberg, it says I am in private mode. Is there a toggle to change this behavior, or???

Tks
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
TPR75

Re: How to stop Private Mode

Post by TPR75 »

ndebord wrote:Somehow I have managed to change the default behavior of SeaMonkey. On some sites, like Bloomberg, it says I am in private mode. Is there a toggle to change this behavior, or???
When SeaMonkey is in Private Mode then you should see "SeaMonkey Private Browsing" after an name of a window:

Some sites claims something about "Private Mode" when they want too much but users are blocking access to their privacy.

Just tested "bloomberg.com" and there was no warning about "Private Mode" (no cookies, no permissions, tracking blocked).
--
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode That would tell you if an adblocker or similar extension is involved in this.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode That would tell you if an adblocker or similar extension is involved in this.
Hi Dan,

Got busy, so late getting back to you. In Safe Mode, Bloomberg loads just fine. I shall look through my extensions to see which, if any, are responsible. Private Mode is greyed out in settings, so it has to be an extension I think.

Tks
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

ndebord wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode That would tell you if an adblocker or similar extension is involved in this.
Hi Dan,

Got busy, so late getting back to you. In Safe Mode, Bloomberg loads just fine. I shall look through my extensions to see which, if any, are responsible. Private Mode is greyed out in settings, so it has to be an extension I think.

Tks
DanRaisch,

Figured it out. It was PrefBar.... a seemingly invisible effect there. Just went to Bloomberg and no such issues any more.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for letting us know what you found.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

DanRaisch wrote:Thanks for letting us know what you found.
Hi Dan,

Pretty much works now, aside from The Washington Post.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ndebord wrote:Pretty much works now, aside from The Washington Post.
If you use that site a lot then I'd suggest a site specific override with a UA of the latest Chrome (tested)

If not, and this is me, just use a Toggle JavaScript button and that stops the Private Browsing popup there, so you can read the article.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
ndebord wrote:Pretty much works now, aside from The Washington Post.
If you use that site a lot then I'd suggest a site specific override with a UA of the latest Chrome (tested)

If not, and this is me, just use a Toggle JavaScript button and that stops the Private Browsing popup there, so you can read the article.
Frank,

Thanks. I started over from scratch, sans importing mail, and loaded up extensions one at a time. It seems I was over eager to blame PrefBar, but as for The Washington Post, it still says private mode. I took your suggestion and use PrefBar's JavaScript toggle there. Works just fine. Will consider a site override down the road.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ndebord wrote:I took your suggestion and use PrefBar's JavaScript toggle there. Works just fine. Will consider a site override down the road.
Another thing just to mention - some sites don't like that Lightning suffix in the UA.

I had with a UK media site a while back, where 90% of the site worked OK, but not the rest.... and it took me ages to make that connection with the Lightning suffix..
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
ndebord wrote:I took your suggestion and use PrefBar's JavaScript toggle there. Works just fine. Will consider a site override down the road.
Another thing just to mention - some sites don't like that Lightning suffix in the UA.

I had with a UK media site a while back, where 90% of the site worked OK, but not the rest.... and it took me ages to make that connection with the Lightning suffix..
Frank,

Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotton about that setting some time ago.