Migrating SM to FireFox or ThunderBird

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Migrating SM to FireFox or ThunderBird

Post by Peter Creasey »

Sincerely hope this is never necessary; however...

If it becomes necessary to switch from SeaMonkey to FireFox, where might there be found some instructions on how to make a complete migration including with bookmarks, etc.?

Likewise on a complete migration to ThunderBird including with email addresses, etc.?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Re: Migrating SM to FireFox or ThunderBird

Post by frg »

You can always install a second browser for websites which behave badly. The new Edge beta looks promising and doesn't have the ideological issues of Firefox. So far it doesn't seem to phone home too but there it is would be not much different form Firefox. Only manifest V3 would be a bummer.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Yes, I already use IE when websites don't cooperate with SeaMonkey. Hopefully, using a second browser as a backup will work for a long time.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I am already using Pale Moon much of the time for a browser. Its interface is more like that of SeaMonkey than that of any other that I have encountered lately. I also have Slimjet and Opera, and Safari is my last resort if nothing else works.
Bac_a_sable

Post by Bac_a_sable »

Sometimes i use Firefox for some website badly "snifing" the browser used: i copy all the files of seamonkey's profile to firefox's profile... all all is here :) bookmarks, passwords....
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Bac_a_sable wrote: i copy all the files of seamonkey's profile to firefox's profile... all all is here bookmarks, passwords....
Are you saying you do a <Select All> <Copy> of the SM profile and paste it into the FF profile? And then all is good to go?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

Good to go, no telling.
But in general, things should work out.

Extensions certainly will not.

Sessions, you'd have to rename SeaMonkey's sessionstore.json to sessionstore.js (as FF will find & use the latter, after which it would save it as a .jsonlz4).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Bac_a_sable

Post by Bac_a_sable »

Peter Creasey wrote:
Bac_a_sable wrote: i copy all the files of seamonkey's profile to firefox's profile... all all is here bookmarks, passwords....
Are you saying you do a <Select All> <Copy> of the SM profile and paste it into the FF profile? And then all is good to go?
Exactly: this is what i do.
No less, no more