Installing ESR to run separately

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Debskinner

Installing ESR to run separately

Post by Debskinner »

Hi
I've just got a new PC & am trying to get FFESR to run as well as regular FF 64-bit

I did it on my last PC & remember having trouble. Can't remember the solution. I know I have to have 2 profiles. The problem is installing the 2nd version without it overriding the first.

I want to run ESR from my downloads folder in order to keep it completely separate (on old PC had target as C:\Users\User\Downloads\FirefoxPortable\firefox.exe -no-remote -profile "name"

It's the installation that's foxing me (& the fact that I can't seem to open profile manager from outside of FF)

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Installing ESR to run separately

Post by DanRaisch »

therube

Post by therube »

on old PC had target as C:\Users\User\Downloads\FirefoxPortable\firefox.exe -no-remote -profile "name
Note that the command line is not running FF "portably".
Actually, not sure what you're doing there?
You might be running FF directly?

Typically you'd want to run \FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe.
(firefox.exe itself being found within \App\Firefox\ subdirectory.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Debskinner

Post by Debskinner »

Hi
Thanks. Got there, eventually
Trick is to NOT allow FFESR to start & to make sure to put the -no-remote -profile on BEFORE starting it up
James

Post by James »

Note unless you are trying to run two different Firefox instances at the same time (like say the Fx 68.1.0 ESR and Fx 69.0.1 Release) you do not need the -no-remote switch. It is good however to still have each version shortcut pointing to it's own Profile.