None of my extensions work

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Alfred001

None of my extensions work

Post by Alfred001 »

I'm running the latest version of Firefox and I have 4 extensions installed, one is disabled, 3 enabled, but none of the enabled ones work. Any idea what the problem might be?
DanRaisch

Re: None of my extensions work

Post by DanRaisch »

Just which extensions are you referring to and what version of each do you have installed?
Alfred001

Post by Alfred001 »

I have:
Location Guard 2.4.0
New Tab Tools 90.2
Toggle Website Colors 2.3.0

The disabled extension is uBlock Origin 1.22.4. I disabled it because when I would start Firefox it wouldn't load any tabs or any new web pages I tried to go to until I disabled uBlock Origin.

When this first happened I ran FFox in safe mode and when I saw that it worked fine without the extensions enabled I ran it normal again and started disabling the extensions one by one until I found uBlock was the problem. I can't remember whether it was immediately after that first normal boot following safe mode already that they started not working, but it may be.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i am pretty sure all you current problems result in a defective profile, however you did it
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055235

ublock is not able to affect other extensions!
it can not affect traffic from extensions, but it can affect traffic caused by webpages.

start a clean profile and try again, without any profile tweaking and stupid impact from third-party cleaners.
i am pretty sure your geo issue is made by a defective or tweaked profile.
Alfred001

Post by Alfred001 »

I have the geo issue in Chrome too, so that one at least isn't due to a defective profile.
Alfred001

Post by Alfred001 »

UPDATE:

I realized the extensions kind of PARTIALLY work. New Tab Tools disables the default thing Firefox shows you in a blank tab and shows it's grey background, but doesn't show any of the links that it's supposed to show you.

Location Guard and Toggle Website Colors, on the other hand, appear in the drop down menu that you access through the "..." in the URL bar and they are greyed out and inactive.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

if it happens also in chrome - no browser issue - its system issue -> perhaps antivirus or similar.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Seeing as it also occurs in Chrome, this is being moved to the Tech. forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Alfred001

Post by Alfred001 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Seeing as it also occurs in Chrome, this is being moved to the Tech. forum...
That poster was referring to the "geo issue" which is another problem that I'm having and that is unrelated to this, I've had that problem long before this thing with the extensions. The geo issue is the one I have on both Chrome and Firefox, the extensions issue I talk about in this thread is unrelated and exclusive to Firefox.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Well, it would be best to not include any problems not related to your Firefox one.
Gets a tad confusing.
Thank you.

Back to Firefox Support..

&, Safe Mode does more than disable your extensions.
ref; > When in Safe Mode...
* The status of plug-ins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored.
* The JIT/Javascript compiler is disabled.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled.

Perhaps try a new Profile for a start?
Do not add anything to it.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Just transfer your Bookmarks.
Check the article for what else to transfer......later.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Alfred001

Post by Alfred001 »

Well, I created a new profile, added Toggle Website Colors to it and it works fine.

What do I do now, should I just switch to the new profile, or is there some way I can try repairing the previous one (or why bother?)

Presuming I'll be just moving to the new profile, is there a way I can transfer my browsing history as well as the bookmarks over to the new profile?

Is there a way to transfer my session? I really need that one, as I have an enormous number of tabs open.

EDIT:
Just as a curiosity, I just went into the options of Toggle Website Colors on the old profile and this extension allows you to define colors for text, background, link and visited link and I HAD defined specific colors for each, but now I notice that all of those have been reset to black. That's so weird, I don't get what could have done that.

EDIT2:

And now I've readjusted the colors to my choice again, closed the tab and when I went back into the Toggle Website Colors options, I saw that my adjustment didn't take. It was back to all black.

I realize now that this may be tied to a problem I'm having on Twitter. I adjust my display settings to the "lights out" theme, but every time I close the tab and come back to Twitter the color scheme is set back to "dim".

It's as if no changes I make will take. The cookies seem unaffected, tho, as I am still logged in everywhere.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In those last two edits are you referring to the old profile or the new?

Are you running any sort of clean up utility, perhaps Ccleanter or an element of an anti-virus software?
Alfred001

Post by Alfred001 »

The last two edits are what happens in the old profile. In the new profile, I've installed all the extensions I had on the old one (including uBlock) and everything works normally.

Yes, I have CCleaner, Avast Antivirus and Malwarebytes installed
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

We have seen numerous reports of CCleaner messing up Firefox profiles. I suggest that you change the settings in that utility to prevent it from doing ANYTHING in regard to Firefox.
Also, are you running Malwarebytes as a full time scanner or only on demand with Firefox closed?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

2 of that kind are known to cause issues - the one who kills firefox, the other who wants to rule with a policy file.
uninstall is the only solution. defender rules, mbam free ofc (premium is not needed here)