Saving T Bird emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TikiLime22

Saving T Bird emails

Post by TikiLime22 »

I want to save some TB emails to a desktop folder. When I do they all have the TB icon. Is there a way to change that icon to something or is this the way they will have to be. I am using windows 7 and TB is up to date
Energise

Re: Saving T Bird emails

Post by Energise »

You can save emails as .pdf files

Go to File > Print Preview and check layout / size etc
Then Print - select Microsoft Print to pdf (if you have it as built-in) or download free program, like CutePDFWriter (https://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp)
Then save document in the prefered folder with suitable file name etc.

Others may have more suggestions but this is certainly a useful method
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How are you saving those messages? If you are viewing a message and use menu path File->Save as->File you can select the file format to which that message will be saved. Options include EML, TXT and HTML.

For what purpose(s) are you saving the messages? That might tells us which other options might be useful to you.
TikiLime22

Post by TikiLime22 »

I am saving the emails in"save as". I tried HTML and it was all gibberish. Could not read it. They are scrapbooking ideas with a lot of graphics and the other folder is recipes.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Files saved in HTML format can be opened and viewed with Firefox.
TikiLime22

Post by TikiLime22 »

I do use Firefox. Could not make any sense out of them.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The problem with saving them in HTML is it might not save the associated images. You typically use a .mhtml file to save the complete page. I don't think the ImportExportTools (or the newer ImportExportToolsNG) add-on supports that. You could save it as a .eml file but that usually requires some email client to view it. Saving it as a .pdf file is probably the most practical solution.

NitroPDF is another free pdf editor that adds a print queue to print a file as a .pdf file. https://www.snapfiles.com/get/nitropdf.html
TikiLime22

Post by TikiLime22 »

I have no trouble with the files themselves. I wanted to know if I could just change the thunderbird icon that opens the file to something else.Is this possible?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It depends upon what version of windows you are using. You appear to be using Windows 7 (based on the user agent string from your browser, when you posted)

In Windows 10 there is a change icon button in the properties for the Thunderbird shortcut when its on the toolbar. That button is gone when you have a shortcut on the desktop. Ditto for the file in file explorer. However, for windows 7 that button might still be available. See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13631/c ... and-vista/
TikiLime22

Post by TikiLime22 »

Yes I use windows 7 and I know I can change the icons on the desktop in properties,but that option is not available in the folders. I will just leave them as they are. There doesnt seem to be a way to change them. Thanks to all who offered help