Mail Server Sent Incorrect Greeting

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
alnuwer

Mail Server Sent Incorrect Greeting

Post by alnuwer »

When I try to send an email, I get an Alert:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: cxr-obgw-5004a.stratus.cloudmark.com cmsmtp Connection Rejected - see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/74.62.9.222 AUP#IPBL00001

How do I fix it?
Does my message get to recipient?

Thanks for you help!
DanRaisch

Re: Mail Server Sent Incorrect Greeting

Post by DanRaisch »

See this thread for some guidance -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 9&t=535679

Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the account name at the upper right of the dialogue:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Just tell us if it is your full email address or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Authentication Method:
Connection Security:
alnuwer

Post by alnuwer »

DanRaisch wrote:See this thread for some guidance -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 9&t=535679

Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the account name at the upper right of the dialogue:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Just tell us if it is your full email address or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Authentication Method:
Connection Security:
Server name: smtp.cox.net
Port # : 465
User name : just the bit before the @ symbol
Authentication Method: Normal password
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try changing that port number to 587. https://getmailspring.com/setup/access- ... -imap-smtp
alnuwer

Post by alnuwer »

DanRaisch wrote:Try changing that port number to 587. https://getmailspring.com/setup/access- ... -imap-smtp
The 587 port times out. My ISP (Cox) tech support assures me that smtp.cox.net is the correct server and the only one that supports Thunderbird, and that port 465 is the only port that supports TB on their server.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can try changing SSL/TLS to STARTTLS.
alnuwer

Post by alnuwer »

It just occurred to me that the problem may not be with my ISP. I'm in a hotel and the service here is Spectrum. I plan to contact the hotel/Spectrum to see if it's on their end.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Don't know if this applies to Cox, but many ISPs have their SMTP (outgoing) servers set up to only accept connections from computers that are connected to the internet via their service. For such services you can't send mail when not at home and are connecting via a different internet service. My ISP is set up this way and it's a pain in the neck when away from home. The way around this is to set up a mail account NOT affiliated with an ISP and send thru the new account's server.

Many people use free accounts at universally-accessible services such as gmail, hotmail, and yahoo. Or there are many reasonably-priced paid services. A non-ISP mail service also gives you the ability to change ISP without having to change your email address. I've had the same @iname.com (now part of mail.com) address since the first time I moved and had to change ISPs in 1997.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
alnuwer

Post by alnuwer »

makaiguy wrote:Don't know if this applies to Cox, but many ISPs have their SMTP (outgoing) servers set up to only accept connections from computers that are connected to the internet via their service. For such services you can't send mail when not at home and are connecting via a different internet service. My ISP is set up this way and it's a pain in the neck when away from home. The way around this is to set up a mail account NOT affiliated with an ISP and send thru the new account's server.

Many people use free accounts at universally-accessible services such as gmail, hotmail, and yahoo. Or there are many reasonably-priced paid services. A non-ISP mail service also gives you the ability to change ISP without having to change your email address. I've had the same @iname.com (now part of mail.com) address since the first time I moved and had to change ISPs in 1997.
I suspect this is the problem here. So rather than struggle with it, I will just use my gmail account while away from home. I do agree it is a pain in the neck! Thank you all for your replys.
Al