What Happens With Data If You Remove An Account?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tpaulr

What Happens With Data If You Remove An Account?

Post by tpaulr »

Afternoon...

We are moving our corporate accounts to a Microsoft Office 365 business suite from Google's version and will, in all likelihood, switch to using Outlook...

If I remove my existing corporate account, what happens? Does everything just completely go away?

I know nothing happens to my Local folders, but will I still have access to contacts and calendar until I import into Outlook?

I have never removed an account, need to ask before I shut it off.

Thanks, in advance. :)
kerft

Re: What Happens With Data If You Remove An Account?

Post by kerft »

Let's say the accounts are accessed with imap. Do not remove the account from Thunderbird yourself- that could destroy the data you may want. If the account is removed **by the server**, not you, what will happen is like this http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055952 when you sync, all folder emails except archived backup will be lost. If contacts and calendar are part of what imap knows about, they may be lost as well, I do not know for sure.
Before anything changes, do your best to make what backups you can. For the emails this may help - http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP_backup
For contacts and calendar, I have no idea.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Not sure I understand.

1. The Account Actions under Account Settings shows a number of actions, including "remove account", that's what I'm asking about.

This is an IMAP account, my inbox only has about 40 emails in it; when I set up my new 365 account, including Outlook (just the web UI right now), my inbox, sent and drafts were all downloaded.

Setting up my desktop is another matter, my IT admins are trying to fix some problems that they created, has nothing to do with my question here.

2. My "Local" files are where everything resides, I have any number of folders that I have used for a long time. I understand that they can't be imported into Outlook, or am I wrong?

I assume they will remain intact as organized (I have about 20 folders) on my C Drive somewhere.

I am going to continue using TBird for a personal account, as well, that I've also had for years.

3. Contact and Calendar, going to import into Outlook, but have to get the desktop set up.

I simply want to know what will happen once I "remove" the account.

Thanks.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

if you delete an account and don't check the checkbox to remove its data nothing gets deleted. Thunderbird just forgets the account exists and its no longer listed in the folder pane. But all of the files are still there. That's basically mail and message filters.

If you want to recover any of that data (mail is stored in mbox files, files named after the folder but with no file extension such as "inbox." and "sent.") afterwards you can copy it into either a POP account or "Local Folders".

If you add the account again later on and change the "local directory" (specified at the bottom of the server settings pane) back to that same directory everything is restored and you can continue using it.

In your case since you just have 40 messages in the inbox if you want to save them I suggest you copy them to the inbox in Local Folders. If you don't do that you could still read that mail using webmail (via a browser) .
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"My "Local" files are where everything resides, I have any number of folders that I have used for a long time. I understand that they can't be imported into Outlook, or am I wrong?"

I assume you mean the Local Folders account. The easiest way to move messages to Outlook is to have the same IMAP account in both email clients and then move the messages to the remote folders. Otherwise you have to deal with importing files and potential file conversion issues. The ImportExportTools (or ImportExportToolsNG if you are using version 68) add-on lets you export all of the messages in a folder as *.eml files. You can then drag and drop them into the message list/folder listing in Outlook 2010 (or later) to import them.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

I use Import/Export Tools, the older version for 60.9. Yes, IIve moved Local Account folders using I/E Tools for new laptops and desktops.

I'm not sure I understand "same IMAP" account, though.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Forgot: Are Contacts and Calendar retained?

THX.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I'm not sure I understand "same IMAP" account, though."

Add the same IMAP account (for example user tpaulr @ gmail) in both email clients. That means both email clients can access the same mailbox, using remote folders. Think of it as being equivalent to two PC's both mounting a drive to the same file share, except this is for mail, not files.

"Forgot: Are Contacts and Calendar retained?"

Yes. They're global, so they are unaffected by deleting an account.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

1. OK, got it.

2. That's good news.

Thanks, as always...
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

If you are going to a new system can't you run in parallel for a couple weeks at least until you are comfortable all is well? If it is gmail it should not be a problem. You can access your account several ways without conflict. You can use tbird, outlook or gmail on the web without issue. Then later delete your tbird installation after exporting contacts.

I would export your contacts to a cvs or text file before anything else.

I know nothing about Calendar.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Another question -- Are you changing your email address on your new system? You could just forward 40 emails to the new email address if so.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

tanstaafl wrote:"Forgot: Are Contacts and Calendar retained?"

Yes. They're global, so they are unaffected by deleting an account.

Yes and no. If you delete an email account but the old server stays online, then your contacts and calendar will be saved. But if your contacts and calendar are hosted online, then they will be removed when your company pulls the plug on the Google at work server. And if they do it the typical way (i.e. changing DNS so that mail.yourcompany.com points to Microsoft Office instead of Google), then you won't have access to both platforms at the same time.

What would be an appropriate way to transfer your corporate accounts

If they have hired a reputable IT firm, they should transfer all your data (emails, calendars, contacts, tasks) from Google to Microsoft Office. If they do that correctly, then all your information will be accessible via the new servers. But if they don't do that and simply "pull the plug" on the old server, then it's your responsibility to download everything before they pull the plug. And even if they do it correctly, then you'll be safe as you will have a backup.

Being safe and downloading copies
The following will work whether your company transfers your old information or not.

Emails
The easiest way to do so is to stay online, but copy all messages to local folders.
1. In the "Local Folders" hierarchy, you may create folders such as "Company's Google–Inbox", "Company's Google- Sent mail", etc., for all the folders you currently have under your Google account hierarchy.
2. One folder at a time (starting with Inbox), select all messages, right-click on them
and select "Copy to –> Local Folders –> Company's Google–Inbox"
3. Depending on the amount of stuff you have (incl. attachment size) and your connection speed, stay connected a long time to make sure all data is transferred. Why not keep Thunderbird open all night?

4. When the new account is open on Microsoft, you might elect to transfer your messages back from the local folders hierarchy to their various respective folders.

Contacts

The same general approach applies.
– If you are using the regular Address Book and your contacts are local, then you are OK.

– If you are using the regular Address Book with gContactsSync, then your contacts are on Google.
Either export them in a CSV file in Thunderbird or do the same in the browser by connecting to Gmail.
(You may also export contacts using vCards, but I'm not sure it works as well.

– If you are using Cardbook and connecting to your contacts on Google, then right-click on the name of the contact list and select "Export".

When you have access to your new server, then import your contacts in your new system.

Calendar(s)
– Export each online calendar as an "ics" file.
– When you have access to your new server, then import your calendars in your new system.

Other info
Depending on how your Microsoft Outlook server is configured, you may need a few different extensions.
– For email, you should be OK. For some private Exchange servers you might need "Owl for Exchange" (a paid but affordable extension).

– For Calendars and Contacts, you might need TbSync (with the 2 associated extensions: Provider for CalDAV and CardDAV, and Provider for Exhange ActiveSync) to connect to your online contacts and calendars.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Thank You.

I am running parallel right now - we'll try moving them this week.