How big is the risk?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Tushman

How big is the risk?

Post by Tushman »

I'm currently using Firefox v55.0.3 simply because the one extension that I have grown to love over the years (TMP - Tab Mix Plus) is not compatible with the Quantum version. Up until this point, I've maintained hard stance against upgrading.

Lately I've been wondering how much am I opening myself up to malware attacks by clinging on to such an outdated version. I am using Win7 Pro x64 which I keep fully up-to-date, plus WinPatrol, plus ESET Smart Security, plus a modified HOSTS file. And finally, I use a VPN service for an added layer of security. Lately I've been thinking about upgrading to the latest version of Firefox... but damn, it's hard to let go of TMP. In the past, I've looked at some alternatives to TMP but no other extension comes close. Thoughts?
Last edited by Tushman on January 30th, 2020, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Re: How big is the risk?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Well, there is a "updated" version of TMP.
It's not exactly like the original but may suit...
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
There's also a Help forum...
> http://tabmixplus.org/forum/

The forum may yet continue, provided that it gets a new "owner."
Nothing set in concrete as yet, so we all hold our breaths & hope for the best.
Keep an eye out on the "The End" thread.
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055133
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

They finally made a version that's compatible with the Quantum version??!! Holy cow man - I'm shocked. :shock: The owner of TMP made it sound like it was a long ways off in the distance and even said that it may never get done... but they finally done did it. Thanks for the link. I'll try it out soon and see how it goes.

Regarding "The End" thread - I read it several days ago and didn't read anything about new ownership back then. I'm glad to hear that's something in the works now. I guess I should subscribe to the thread.

Thanks for the response LIMPET235.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're welcome.

We all hope the forum continues, as it keeps our old grey cells firing.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

the old TMP can not be fully replaced with other extensions. it would help if you describe which functions are important for you.

btw winpatrol is out of support and has lots of bugs, so it is same old as firefox and you should uninstall this fake security.