ESR update to 68.2 from 60.9

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

ESR update to 68.2 from 60.9

Post by dfoulkes »

I've been happy with what seems the 60.xxx level of ESR...but now I see that the next update for this version is jumping to 68.2. So, I'm wondering if my tried and true extensions in my current version are going to blow up again as they did in the past with the new Firefox format.... anybody know the skinny on this? PS... I've attempted to locate meaningful answers to some of the basic for this version jump but could not find anything that would give me the answers.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Re: ESR update to 68.2 from 60.9

Post by Brummelchen »

thats the forced upgrade from 60esr to 68.2.0 esr. mozilla grants 2 builds time and 68.2.0 is 3rd build now after 68.0, 68.1.
as the following table points out 60.9.0 esr is the latest 60esr, the next upgrade can only be 68.2.0
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar

thus 60esr has been phased out now and is out of support.
Duck_Dodgers

Post by Duck_Dodgers »

I only use NoScript and uBlock Origin. Both have been working fine since I upgraded to 68.2.0 esr when it came out. I'm on Windows 10 Pro.

Now, if only I could get rid of the new image on top of the "Bookmark this Page" fly-out, I'd be happy. Haven't looked into doing that yet.

Mike
Quack! Quack!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

userChrome.css

Code: Select all

#mainPopupSet #editBookmarkPanel #editBookmarkPanelInfoArea #editBookmarkPanelRecommendation #cfrMessageContainer,
#mainPopupSet #editBookmarkPanel .panel-header #editBookmarkPanelInfoButton,
#main-window #mainPopupSet #editBookmarkPanel #editBookmarkPanelInfoArea
{
    display: none !important;
}

#main-window #mainPopupSet #editBookmarkPanel .panel-header #editBookmarkPanelTitle
{
    margin-left: 0px !important;
}
in main you need first, 2nd is cosmetics for an element in that panel when the others are hidden
kukla

Post by kukla »

A few disabled, but all good in 68.2:

Duck_Dodgers

Post by Duck_Dodgers »

Brummelchen wrote:userChrome.css

#mainPopupSet #editBookmarkPanel #editBookmarkPanelInfoArea #editBookmarkPanelRecommendation #cfrMessageContainer,
#mainPopupSet #editBookmarkPanel .panel-header #editBookmarkPanelInfoButton,
#main-window #mainPopupSet #editBookmarkPanel #editBookmarkPanelInfoArea
{
}

#main-window #mainPopupSet #editBookmarkPanel .panel-header #editBookmarkPanelTitle
{
    margin-left: 0px !important;
}
in main you need first, 2nd is cosmetics for an element in that panel when the others are hidden
Thanks, @Brummelchen !
Quack! Quack!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks all... I also have the portable version of my ESR in here...it has all the exts. that my installed version has...so, I waited till I saw that the portable site had the latest update for it... updated it and all my extensions are good... so, I'll update this installed version soon.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Everything seems to work OK.. but it took me a day to figure out why my pages looked different... then I noticed that I no longer have 'tabs on bottom' ... I checked my Userchrome.css file and did a search for the word 'bottom' and found two entries. This profile is pretty old so having those two entries is just that over time I must have had to add another one due to 'another' Firefox update.

They are....

/* Tabs on Bottom */
  #TabsToolbar {
      -moz-box-ordinal-group: 100!important;
AND

.tab-bottom-line {

Not being a coder for CSS stuff ... not sure, but that last one doesn't look like it handles putting tabs on the bottom.

So, if anybody feels like posting the now working code here I would appreciate it very much.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

PS... I see where dickvl posted what he uses but I can't believe all that code takes the place of the simple code that I had before the update.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... +on+bottom
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

DF, FWIW I'd keep the .css stuff to the bare minimum, every update seems to break something for someone, 71b just nuked my Hamburger Button on the far left in the tab bar code.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

df,
This is the old code that dickvl reckons does not work in the latest versions...

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* (Remove the existing code that does not work in v66, but does in v62 etc.) */

/* TABS: on bottom */
#navigator-toolbox toolbar:not(#nav-bar):not(#toolbar-menubar) {-moz-box-ordinal-group:10}
#TabsToolbar {-moz-box-ordinal-group:1000!important}

#TabsToolbar {
 position: absolute !important;
 bottom: 0 !important;
 width: 100vw !important;
}

#tabbrowser-tabs {
  width: 100vw !important;
}

#main-window:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox {padding-bottom: calc(0px + var(--tab-min-height)) !important;}

Try it & see if it works?
If not, then use the new version he posted.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thankyou LIMPET235.... that above code worked fine... now I'm back to the norm.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Geeze eh!
Yaz lucky that I still had that old version around.
:)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah... now we just have to wait and see if another update messes with this and other code... one of the things that Mozilla provided long ago was to allow these types of CSS coding entries into the browser... yet it seems that with almost every release code breaks (again) ... that is not a great sales-pitch...especially if Moz wants the world of everyday users to enjoy all of the tweaks in the browser... know what I mean?

In the case of this supposed corporate version of Firefox... I can just see a company like
G.M., or a telco giant waking up in the morning and finding that thousands of their Firefox users are in a mess.
Clueless in Seattle

Post by Clueless in Seattle »

I'd be grateful if someone could point me to instructions for using the code that LIMPET235 posted with the comment: "Try it & see if it works?." I foolishly allowed Firefox to update to 68.2.0esr and my tabs got relocated again.

I'm one of those old-timers who prefers having their tabs immediately above the web pages that they refer to. But my computer skills have gotten rusty in my old age, and I haven't a clue how to use the solution that LIMPET235 provided.

What I'm hoping for is either a list of step-by-step instructions, or a youtube video.