Add Ons Now Disabled in 68.1

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Add Ons Now Disabled in 68.1

Post by DanRaisch »

.take the users into consideration and make it easy to make fonts in the message pane READABLE!!!
That's already readily available in the basic Thunderbird configuration (Tools->Options->Display->Formatting). I've never found it necessary to use an extension to adjust fonts and have been using Thunderbird for more than 15 years.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Now it seems from Kerft's post that changing font size will probably not be allowed in TB 76 next year anyway."

Kerft referenced my thread where I stated it was announced that they "intend to drop all support for legacy add-ons within the version 72 time frame (by end of this year)." Not 76. That's based on an announcement that generated a long discussion in the tb-planning mailing list, and statements in the developer documentation.

I'm not aware of any reason why a WebExtension add-on couldn't change fonts, though there are still issues with what functionality the WebExtension API supports. That is why they support an add-on developer releasing "WebExtension Experiments" as a interim workaround. "A WebExtension experiment is an additional API that is shipped with your WebExtension. It allows your extension to interact with Thunderbird, much like earlier types of extension did". "If you think your API would be useful to other extensions, consider having it added to Thunderbird. File a bug that blocks bug 1396172 and add your schema and implementation files as attachments"

Whether or not it makes sense to develop a TFSC WebExtension for version 72 is a different issue. It would be a lot easier if he waited until 76 is released. The API would be more stable, the documentation better, and more working WebExtension add-ons available to learn from.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"That's already readily available in the basic Thunderbird configuration (Tools->Options->Display->Formatting). I've never found it necessary to use an extension to adjust fonts and have been using Thunderbird for more than 15 years."

Good for you. However, it doesn't seem to effect plain text messages (probably because it relies upon CSS). And even the TFSC add-on doesn't solve all problems because some mail includes their own CSS to set the font/fonts sizes . For example the NextDraft daily newsletter uses the Verlag font family. That over-rides whatever the add-on , Tools->Options->Display->Formatting and/or my chrome\userChrome.css file sets. Very annoying.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Perhaps, but we're talking about a small minority of mesage that demonstrate that failing. Common messages between friends and colleagues are easily managed from within Thunderbird.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tanstaafl wrote:For example the NextDraft daily newsletter uses the Verlag font family. That over-rides whatever the add-on , Tools->Options->Display->Formatting and/or my chrome\userChrome.css file sets. Very annoying.
You are editing the wrong file. Message, although locally stored, are treated as content, same as webpages and 'in-content' pages, like about:profiles.

So, to effect message font changes, you need to edit your userContent.css file instead.

userChrome.css is for UI...which has always been internally known as chrome.
Tools->Options->Display->Formatting

Don't forget Tools->Options->Display->Formatting > Advanced, play around with font sizes there and also uncheck those 2 Font Control boxes (as I believe in mentioned on page 2 of this thread?)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
orealius

Post by orealius »

"That's already readily available in the basic Thunderbird configuration (Tools->Options->Display->Formatting). I've never found it necessary to use an extension to adjust fonts and have been using Thunderbird for more than 15 years."

Ok... Using 60.9...I went to: Tools->Options->Display->Formatting and changed the font size from 18 to 15 just to see what's what. THERE WAS NO CHANGE IN THE MESSAGES OR FOLDER PANE! So, I'm not sure what tanstaafl is suggesting. Maybe I'm missing a step here! I also closed and re-opened TB and changed the advanced sizes as well to no avail. Other than TFSC there is no way I see to change the message and folder pane font sizes without going through the config editor...which is a bit daunting for the average user...especially given the warning when accessing the editor.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As previously noted by kerft:
all the settings visible only apply for "latin" and you have to set them all again for "other languages."
Did you do that?
orealius

Post by orealius »

DanRaisch wrote:As previously noted by kerft:
all the settings visible only apply for "latin" and you have to set them all again for "other languages."
Did you do that?
Just did...Tried "other writing systems" ...still unable to make any changes. To make sure, we're talking about the display..."folder preview pane"...From...Subject...Date...Size
orealius

Post by orealius »

Unchecked font control boxed and that did reduce the size of the font...but can't seem to enlarge them w/o using TFSC!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you trying size of 18 or larger?
Please confirm that these are HTML messages and not plain text.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Yes.....these are just the message notifications...not the message itself. Tried different fonts larger and smaller. Can I send an image?
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Is there some feature in 68+ you absolutely must have? Why not just stick with TB 60.9. I'm sticking with 60.9 because several of my must have extensions don't work on 68+ and I just don't need anything that 68+ has to offer. There are many people who post on these forums from time to time still using much OLDER versions of Thunderbird.
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Just for grins why don't you try putting this in a userContent.css file that's located in your Chrome folder:

* {
font-weight: normal !important;
font-size: 18pt !important;
font-family: "Verdana" !important;
}

Don't forget in TB 68+ to make sure you set:

Settings/Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor...
toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets to true
orealius

Post by orealius »

My understanding is that older builds eventually lose Support… Whatever that means? 60.9 is fine. I hope you understand the issue I am referring to. Yes, there are circuitous ways around it to some extent. I’m just trying to keep up with the builds And urge the programmers to take the users into a more priority light.
James

Post by James »

The older Tb 60.0 branch is End Of Life or EOL as in getting no more security and stability updates so the Tb 60.9.0 was the last. Only the 68.X.x is getting updates right now.