Unwanted    Symbols

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Bluelead

Unwanted    Symbols

Post by Bluelead »

When I "Save As" an email to a folder I made in Windows 7 I get these symbols    at the end of sentences. Seems to occur whenever I have used spaces or indentations.

Also, when I receive a mass produced email from for example the government, such as Social Security, in between sentences there is a different kind of symbol.

In either of these incidents, it has not been a problem in the past.

I am using Windows 7 Professional and SeaMonkey 2.49.4. Any help would be appreciated.
LIMPET235

Re: Unwanted    Symbols

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to the Seamonkey Forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Bluelead wrote:When I "Save As" an email to a folder I made in Windows 7 I get these symbols    at the end of sentences. Seems to occur whenever I have used spaces or indentations.
Might be related to the ??? mark problem that T/Bird has - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14830861

Btw their Config Editor is just you putting in about:config into the addressbar in SM.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I've had that problem a long time. I just open the message to view, close it, then open it again and everything is normal.

I wish there were some way to make inconvenience go away.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kerft

Post by kerft »

If you read the thread linked above, it says go to about:config, find mail.strictly_mime and set it to true. Hopefully that will help, maybe only for future messages. If you do make a change, make a note of it and why it was done.
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Unfortunately, the suggestions do not correct my problem. But I appreciate the suggestions. My mime is already set to "true." The main problem I have is when I use "Save As" to move one of my emails from SeaMonkey to a Windows 7 folder. I don't even have to change the emails subject name or make any changes to the email in any way.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Bluelead wrote:Unfortunately, the suggestions do not correct my problem. But I appreciate the suggestions. My mime is already set to "true." The main problem I have is when I use "Save As" to move one of my emails from SeaMonkey to a Windows 7 folder. I don't even have to change the emails subject name or make any changes to the email in any way.
If you save message (received, draft or sent) as a file and then you'll open it (in Browser) you probably need to change text encoding:
Menu -> View -> Text Encoding -> choose "Unicode"

Works?

BTW There is new SeaMonkey 2.49.5:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.49.5/
--
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I had it already set at Unicode. Thanks!
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Bluelead wrote:I had it already set at Unicode. Thanks!
If you've set Browser's encoding to Unicode it applies to websites. When you'll open a file (e.g. EML for saved message) then encoding will change (e.g. to Western). It depends on your OS:
https://superuser.com/questions/239810/ ... -windows-7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_i ... ft_Windows

Open file in Browser and check again for encoding.
--
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I just realized I made a mistake in my original post. I am not saving to Windows 7. I am taking an email from SeaMonkey In Box and using "Saving As" command to move it to a folder I made in SeaMonkey. When it gets to the destination folder it picks up all these symbols. Sorry for misleading everyone. I am now using SeaMonkey 2.49.5. For the past year my SeaMonkey has been using "True" and "Unicode," as has been suggested in the above posts. I hope this make it easier to find a way to correct the problem? Thanks to everyone.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Bluelead wrote:I just realized I made a mistake in my original post. I am not saving to Windows 7. I am taking an email from SeaMonkey In Box and using "Saving As" command to move it to a folder I made in SeaMonkey. When it gets to the destination folder it picks up all these symbols. Sorry for misleading everyone. I am now using SeaMonkey 2.49.5. For the past year my SeaMonkey has been using "True" and "Unicode," as has been suggested in the above posts. I hope this make it easier to find a way to correct the problem? Thanks to everyone.
How do you use "Save As" command?

I'm asking because it can be done in three ways.

1) save message as a file (EML by default):
Menu -> File -> Save As -> File (Ctrl+S)
...or:
click RMB to open context menu -> Save As...

2) save message as a template:
Menu -> File -> Save As -> Template

3) when message is open to edit, reply or forward it can be saved as draft:
Menu -> File -> Save As -> Draft

Using "Save As -> File" will make a file (EML by default) external to SeaMonkey and will save it in some Windows OS folder chosen by you. It can be within SeaMonkey application (in your case):

Code: Select all

%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\SeaMonkey\
...or profile's folder:

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\

If you have folder within SeaMonkey e-mail account and you want to move message to other folder then "Inbox" then you can't use "Save As":
Menu -> Message -> Move to -> choose e-mail account -> choose folder

...or:
click RMB to open context menu -> Move to -> choose e-mail account -> choose folder

Well. What are you exactly doing? Saving as a file or just moving message? :-k
--
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Wow! I appreciate the time and examples. Makes it easy to follow for this novice. I am confusing everyone.

1. I use "Move To" to move a file within SeaMonkey mail . . . no problem. I cannot move to Windows 7 or at least I do not know how.
2. I use "Save As" to save the email message to a folder I made in Windows 7. For years the symbols always appear when I do it. I often use the "Save As" feature to save the email to Windows so I can categorize and change or add to the title for organizational purposes.
3. I also receive email mail that will occasionally have the symbols, but not all emails. I cannot figure out why it is only certain emails.

I think I am confusing everyone and should give up and live with the problem.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Bluelead wrote: 1. I use "Move To" to move a file within SeaMonkey mail . . . no problem. I cannot move to Windows 7 or at least I do not know how.
If there is no problem when MOVING messages within SeaMonkey then it's OK, it works correct.
Bluelead wrote:2. I use "Save As" to save the email message to a folder I made in Windows 7. For years the symbols always appear when I do it. I often use the "Save As" feature to save the email to Windows so I can categorize and change or add to the title for organizational purposes.
When you're using "Save As" to save a message as a file then OS (here: Windows 7) is writing file with its own encoding. See here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14847743

Every time you'll open such file you must check/change encoding in Browser, in a window/tab where it has been opened.
Bluelead wrote:3. I also receive email mail that will occasionally have the symbols, but not all emails. I cannot figure out why it is only certain emails.
When you'll receive new message its encoding depends on sender. When sender didn't declared encoding then it'll be used "Default for Current Locale" but you can set specific encoding here:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Text Encoding -> in a field "Message Display" set what you need if default didn't work as you want

Bluelead wrote: I think I am confusing everyone and should give up and live with the problem.
Don't worry. Potential solution for your problem could be helpful for other people.

Maybe solution for you could be creating additional folders or even sub-folders for additional folder within particular e-mail account? Example with "Test" folder and "Test-2" sub-folder here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14848051

You can copy or just move messages to new folders/sub-folders and then you'll have no problems with encoding.
--
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

What program are you using to view those saved messages?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I am using Windows 7 Professional.

If I use "Copy" command in SeaMonkey to move an email within SeaMonkey I do not get those symbols. But, the "Save As" I will.
However, I cannot edit the subject line with "Save As." If I move that same email to a folder in Windows, the symbols appear.