password will not work

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
bgreenage

password will not work

Post by bgreenage »

The password I have used since my win 10 machine was set up is no longer working. I cannot log into the machine. I have connected an HDMI cable to my tv and can see the login in place. The monitor is out. But using the TV i enter my login data and it says it's the wrong login. What can i do ?
DanRaisch

Re: password will not work

Post by DanRaisch »

What is it you are trying to log into? Windows, this forum, something else?
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

I'm trying to log in to windows. It's a local account. I'm not using the microsoft username and password.
kerft

Post by kerft »

If you leave the computer on (and plugged in or connected to wireless), at the login screen, it may download some windows updates. They will be applied if you click the power icon and pick restart. If a recent bad update was the cause of the problem, letting it install a follow up update may fix it.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

I was having a problem with some recent updates.
kerft

Post by kerft »

If it may be related to an update and the waiting method above does not help, in my opinion these are some of the best experts on updates. They have a forum, where someone may say if there is anything you can do to remove or roll back an update, when you are unable to log in with a local account. In the worst case, you may be able to do some form of reinstall of windows that keeps data. https://www.askwoody.com/
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

ok. Using shift,control,windows key took me to 3 options.Exit and continue to windows( takes me to the login screen)which I need the password for. Turn off pc. And troubleshoot. Trouble shoot has 3 options.Reset this pc.. factory image restore. And advanced options. Advanced options. startup repair. startup settings. command prompt uninstall updates. UEFI firmware settings.System restore. What option should I choose?
kerft

Post by kerft »

They linked you these instructions: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10-pa ... d-out.html
First you make a windows 10 install media - usb key. Then their steps should allow login with an administrator account, and then can either remove recent updates or recover data.
But, of the options you posted about from the other menu, "uninstall updates" sounds encouraging.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

The uninstall updates option requires the same user name and password that has me locked out at the login screen.
kerft

Post by kerft »

In replies to your question on askwoody, someone posted about a few for pay utilities to get in without a password. If it works, the isunshare link says it is a free way but if you cannot implement it, consider the other options posted.
An alternate way which is a lot of work, and I am unsure about, could be to first boot to a boot disk for backup software like Clonezilla or Acronis or Macrium Reflect and backup everything to an external drive. Verify that the backup contains most of the data you expect it to. Then, boot to a windows 10 install media and pick repair if you can. If repair does not help, boot it again and pick install. During the install it should let you create new administrator and user accounts. The registry information for old software will be removed I believe, so most software will need to be reinstalled. But, as long as they were not encrypted I think data files should remain in place on the disk. In case they do not, that is why you did the backup first.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

Thanks to all for your help. Turns out the isunshare, which is not free but at 19.99 worth every penny did the job. Apparently there are different versions. On the third version the link worked perfectly and I now have my PC back with all programs and data intact. Kudo's to the isunshare tech support for working with me to access my PC. Sent many screen shots so they could see where I was in the process. Again many thanks.