ATT Email Security

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sfhowes

Re: ATT Email Security

Post by sfhowes »

Hard to say what's wrong, but note that AT&T requires that IMAP and POP accounts use different smtp servers, i.e. IMAP sends on smtp.mail.att.net while POP accounts send through outbound.att.net.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.ht ... gsi=9ya0ge
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

sfhowes wrote:Hard to say what's wrong, but note that AT&T requires that IMAP and POP accounts use different smtp servers, i.e. IMAP sends on smtp.mail.att.net while POP accounts send through outbound.att.net.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.ht ... gsi=9ya0ge
But I don't have a POP3 account--at least I am not supposed to. My account settings for my1@att.net on my laptop are identical to the settings for my1@att.net on my desktop. And I have no trouble sending or receiving at my1@att.net on my desktop.

One of the messages I got several days ago when I was mistakenly using Account Actions -> 'Add Mail Account' said for my2@att.net that there apparently was a POP3 account. How do I find out if I do in fact have a POP3 account, and then disable it?

I thought about completely using the Remove Account option for both my2@att.net and my3@att.net accounts and starting over. But reading the instructions, I assume that will delete them as sub-accounts at AT&T, which will force me to start anew. So I have not done that.

P.S. Yesterday I tried on my laptop to send a message from a non-AT&T account TO my1@att.net account. I got the error message I noted in my previous post, which is: 'Login to server smtp.mail.att.net with username my1@att.net failed.'

I just opened my1@att.net on my DESKTOP. The message was received there just fine. So I then on my desktop sent a message FROM my1@att.net account to a non-AT&T account. It was sent just fine from my desktop, but my laptop again gave me the 'Login to server smtp.mail.att.net with username my1@att.net failed.' error message.

So it appears that the problem is related to what I have set up on my laptop, rather than a problem with the my1@att.net account.

Harry

Harry
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Does your laptop have a different security program, and is that program scanning outgoing mail or secure (SSL) connections? That could account for the difference in results, if all TB settings are the same. Starting Windows in safe mode is a good way to test for AV interference.

The Server Type, POP or IMAP, is at the top of Server Settings in Account Settings. I would delete an POP or smtp-for-POP passwords in Saved Passwords if you don't have any POP accounts.

Removing an account from TB doesn't remove the account from the mail provider - it just means TB no longer accesses the account.

It might help to test account setups in a separate profile: to start Profile Manager, close TB, Windows key+R, type thunderbird.exe -p
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

sfhowes wrote:Does your laptop have a different security program, and is that program scanning outgoing mail or secure (SSL) connections? That could account for the difference in results, if all TB settings are the same. Starting Windows in safe mode is a good way to test for AV interference.

The Server Type, POP or IMAP, is at the top of Server Settings in Account Settings. I would delete an POP or smtp-for-POP passwords in Saved Passwords if you don't have any POP accounts.

Removing an account from TB doesn't remove the account from the mail provider - it just means TB no longer accesses the account.

It might help to test account setups in a separate profile: to start Profile Manager, close TB, Windows key+R, type thunderbird.exe -p
Both my laptop & desktop use Microsoft Security Essentials. I noticed on my desktop Security Essentials that I had excluded thunderbird.exe, and all the profiles. I did this for some problem I had. The exclusions did not fix those problems. I created the same exclusions on my laptop, but that did not help.

All the time that I have stared at the Server Settings screens, I never noticed that the Server Type was at the top. Thanks for pointing that out. I found that I had both a POP3 and a IMAP account for my3@att.net. So I deleted the POP3 account. I then found that I had the wrong user names for my2@att.net and my3@att.net. After fixing these problems, I can both send and receive Emails at my2@att.net and my3@att.net accounts.

In doing all this, I noticed that each account has an Account Name and Your Name, and the SMTP server associated with it has User Name. What is the distinction of each of these three, and is there some protocol that one or all three have to follow when creating their Name entries? I looked at Thunderbird Help, but could not find anything.

But I can't get my1@att.net to work on my laptop. All the settings are identical to those I have on the desktop, where it works just fine. When I try to send or receive from that account, I keep getting an error message which says: "Login to server imap.mail.att.net with user name my1@att.net failed". Of the three choices, Retry does nothing. I even tried reentering my secure mail key for the 'Enter New Password' choice. Same problem. Any thoughts on this one? I have not yet tried to run in Window's Safe Mode.

I then tried your suggestion to test in a separate profile. That is where the proverbial 'you know what' hit the fan! I selected a different profile, and suddenly Version 68 is being installed! I was not able to shut down Windows fast enough, and now I have Version 68 on my laptop! Of course it will not run the two most important add-ons I have. I do have Thunderbird Setup 56.0b3.exe still on my computer. And I see that both Versions 56 & 68 are listed on Windows' Programs and Features screen. Do I just delete 68 from here? Do I also have to delete Version 56 before I rerun Thunderbird Setup 56.0b3.exe? And if I delete either or both of these, does that action also delete my plug-ins?

Of course the Version 68 installation probably screwed up my latest profile with the changes I made noted above, but at least I have a backup copy made yesterday, which I can substitute and then update.

Harry
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Each account must have a distinct Account Name, e.g. ATT1, ATT2,... The User Name is determined by the mail provider, and is either the email address or just the part before the @. Your Name is whatever you want recipients to see next to your address, e.g. Harry or Harry Brown.

If you have a working setup on your desktop, you could transfer the Thunderbird folder to the same location on the laptop:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... w-computer

I would uninstall TB 56 and keep just TB 60 or 68, 32-bit. Make sure you don't have a version that is in both the 32-bit and 64-bit, Program Files (x86) and Program Files, directories. Removing any or all TB versions won't affect your data in the profile folder. If you stay with TB 60 for the meantime, set updates to 'Check...let me decide' in Tools/Options/Advanced/Update.
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

sfhowes:

Thanks as always for your suggestions. It has taken a couple of days to sort through all the possible alternatives, so that is why I am late responding.

I uninstalled TB 56 on my laptop. As you noted, this did NOT affect my profile, although I had backed it up just in case.

I downloaded and installed TB 60.9, 32 bit. That is the last version before TB 68. None of the developers for my key add-ons are supporting TB 68, so it was an easy choice for me. I found only one minor add-on I use that works with TB 60.0, but would not work with 60.9. I found a substitute for it.

I set Updates to 'Never check for updates'. It is too easy to hit the wrong key in 'Check for updates, but let me choose' in programs, like Thunderbird, that don't give me a second chance to change my mind. And unless someone develops TB 68 versions that mimic my key add-ons, I don't plan to move past TB 60.9.

I found that TB 60.9 fixed some of the issues I have been having with TB 60.0. So assuming no problems going forward, I will update my desktop to TB 60.9.

A couple of items I discovered when making the upgrade and changing the passwords:
1. Even though I have the TB 60.9, 32 bit installation file on my computer, Thunderbird begins to upgrade to TB 68 even before TB 60.9 is installed. I had to disconnect the Ethernet and disable the Wi-Fi on my laptop first. Then I could install TB 60.9 and set Updates to 'Never check for updates'. Then I reconnected my Ethernet, and proceeded from there.

2. Unlike most programs that I have, passwords are not updated just by closing and reopening TB. One has to Restart Windows.

Just to refresh your memory, I have TB installed on both my desktop and laptop. My desktop has multiple non-att accounts, along with my1@att.net. My laptop has all of the accounts that the desktop has, plus my2@att.net and my3@att.net. The my1@att.net is my primary att account, and my2@att.net and my3@att.net are sub-accounts. All of these are set up to use their respective secure mail key. Since my1@att.net is on both computers, it uses a common secure mail key. Each has their own Outbound Server, which has a common Server name of: is smtp.mail.att.net.

On my desktop, I can send and receive just fine to and from any of the accounts. On my laptop, I can send and receive just fine to and from all of the accounts EXCEPT my1@att.net. That account always pops up this message: Login to account "my1ATTOutboundServer" failed. Login to server smpt.mail.att.net with username my1@att.net failed. The three options are: Retry, Enter new password, or Cancel. If I select Enter new password, and then reenter the secure mail key, I usually get a message that says: "Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent) due to network or file access errors".

I tried running in Windows Safe Mode. No change. I then disabled all of my add-ons in Safe Mode. Still no change.

If however (back in normal mode) I CHANGE on my LAPTOP the password for my1@att.net from the assigned secure mail key BACK to the previous non-secure password, then everything works just fine. So for whatever reason, even though the secure password works on my desktop, it will not work on my laptop.

Any thoughts? Is the problem because I am trying to use the same secure password on two computers? I never had problems using the same non-secure password on two computers.

As always, your guidance will be most appreciated.

Harry
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

I don't know why you get the error on sending with the secure password. Maybe AT&T doesn't accept secure keys from the same account on two computers that are simultaneously connected to the mail server, as a 'security' measure. Perhaps the my1 account needs to have separate keys on the two computers. Maybe if you delete the my1 passwords from the laptop and restart TB, and enter the key when prompted, it will reset and work.
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

sfhowes wrote:I don't know why you get the error on sending with the secure password. Maybe AT&T doesn't accept secure keys from the same account on two computers that are simultaneously connected to the mail server, as a 'security' measure. Perhaps the my1 account needs to have separate keys on the two computers. Maybe if you delete the my1 passwords from the laptop and restart TB, and enter the key when prompted, it will reset and work.
I tried your suggestion on deleting the my1 passwords from the laptop, rebooting, and reentering. The same problem exists.

I just now posted the problem on the AT&T Internet Email & Security forum. I'll let you know what I learn.

Harrry
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

Bennyd wrote:On Sept. 19, you posted: I made a "Secure Mail Key" for each of my e-mail accounts. Both accounts are working with the new "Secure Mail Keys" on each of two computers. By the way, you must sign in to the main e-mail account and each sub-account separately and create a unique "Secure Mail Key" for each account.....
Do I understand this correctly: You have several AT&T E-mail accounts, and EACH of those accounts is on two different computers? That is, if you have two accounts, named Account1 and Account2, are both Account1 and Account2 on both computers? If that is correct, are you using the SAME secure mail key (call it Key1) for both of the Account1's? And are you using the SAME secure mail key (call it Key2) for both of the Account2's?

Is either of these account sub-accounts?

I have had lots of problems with secure mail keys on two computers, both of which have Account1, and one also has two sub-accounts, call them Account2 and Account3. Without making you read this whole thread, I have two Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1 computers: a desktop and a laptop. Only Account1 is on my desktop, but all three accounts are on my laptop.

I have made all the recommended changes that sfhowes recommended, but still I was having problems. From Oct. 9 thru today, I have also been posting on an AT&T forum.

I also upgraded both my desktop and laptop to T'bird 60.9 to remove a possible variable. (T.bird 68 will not accept my key add-ons, so it is not an option.)

My situation is this: Account1 runs perfectly on my DESKTOP using its secure mail key for both imap://imap.mail.att.net, and smtp://smpt.mail.att.net. Account2 and Account3 run perfectly on my LAPTOP using their respective secure mail keys on the same .att/net sites. However, Account1 will NOT run on my LAPTOP using the Account1 secure mail key!

When I use the Account1 secure mail key, I get an error message which says: 'Login to account "Account1@att" failed. Login to server smpt.mail.att.net with username my1@att.net failed.' The three options are: Retry, Enter new password, or Cancel. If I select Enter new password, and then reenter the secure mail key, I usually get the same error message, and at other times a message that says: "Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent) due to network or file access errors".

However, if on Account1 on my laptop, I revert back to my password for Account1, Account1 works fine.

Since you have the same account on more than one computer, what am I missing which would allow Account1 on my laptop to use a secure mail key?

Harry
grayladytoo

Post by grayladytoo »

I followed the directions from sfhowes with no problem until I tried to set the secure mail key in my TB account. I had not saved my email account in TB (there are no saved passwords in Tools/Options/Security/Passwords/Saved Passwords), but enter it each time I open TB (it's 22 characters but easy to memorize). I don't want to enter the new secure mail key each time and I can't find how to save it. Thanks for your help.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

When you are prompted to enter the password, there should be a box to check to have it saved in the password manager. If for some reason the checkbox is missing, see this article:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Password_not_ ... hunderbird
grayladytoo

Post by grayladytoo »

Thank you, thank you. That was so simple. I'm not in the habit of saving passwords on my computer and had long since stopped noticing the check box.
KAWill70

Post by KAWill70 »

Is there any information on how the Secure Mail Key works or adds to security?

The AT&T article states that OAuth encrypts username and password for protection. If an application does not support OAuth, the remaining option is to create a 16 character Secure Mail Key which appears only to be a replacement password.

It doesn't seem like a replacement password adds any functionality.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

You can read about the reasons for Gmail's OAuth2 here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmail_w ... illa_Suite

The secure key doesn't add any functionality, except it's probably 'stronger', with 16 characters, than a typical user's password.

TB supports OAuth2 for a few providers, such as Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, Yandex, so support for AT&T may be added in the future.
trinsic

Post by trinsic »

Also the important point about app passwords, in ATT's case the "Secure Mail Password" is that these passwords are randomly generated, and you can revoke such password without having to reset your main account password all the time.

So if you forgot your password, or someone circumvents it, you can just revoke and add a new one. I'm sure it cuts down and support queries for the company as well.