Install one version per user in Windows. [Solved.]

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
xsmith

Install one version per user in Windows. [Solved.]

Post by xsmith »

Hi there,
Running Windows 10, TB 68.2.0 with 2 Windows users.
I need to be able to use TB with a different language for each user.
There is no add-on available for TB 68 to switch languages using language packs.
Is there a way to install TB on a per user basis? Or some other solution you can think of.
TIA.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on October 29th, 2019, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved.] to the title.
sfhowes

Re: Install one version per user in Windows

Post by sfhowes »

Can you find the relevant language pack here?

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunder ... win32/xpi/

You will have to add the pref. intl.locale.requested with the corresponding value.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1490598#c3

I confirmed this with the Dutch pack in TB 68.2.
xsmith

Re: Install one version per user in Windows [SOLVED]

Post by xsmith »

@sfhowes: Thank you very much for the links. I found the FR language pack and the fix.

In the meantime, I devised another solution, far from perfect, I must admit. On one user account, I installed TB 68.2.0 x86 FR, on the other TB 68.2.0 x64 EN.
And it works with Firefox, too.

Note: When installing both localized versions from the same account, I had to manually ensure the correct install folder was chosen (Program Files or Program Files (X86))

Thank you all for your time.

@mods: Please mark the post as *SOLVED* (Or tell me how to do it) TY: Please mark the post as *SOLVED* (Or tell me how to do it) TY
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

xsmith wrote:Hi there,
Running Windows 10, TB 68.2.0 with 2 Windows users.
I need to be able to use TB with a different language for each user.
There is no add-on available for TB 68 to switch languages using language packs.
Is there a way to install TB on a per user basis? Or some other solution you can think of.
TIA.
Did you go to Options > Composition > Spelling and click the "Get More Dictionaries" link?

I see a French language pack there.

I'll save you some steps. Language Tools
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
LIMPET235

Re: Install one version per user in Windows. [Solved.]

Post by LIMPET235 »

@ xsmith...
You asked "@mods: Please mark the post as *SOLVED* (Or tell me how to do it) TY."
Just go to your 1st post & hit the EDIT button.
Easy peasy.

Already did it for you.
:)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

xsmith wrote: I need to be able to use TB with a different language for each user.
Thunderbird 68 comes with a built-in locale switcher.
• First go to to Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor ..., search for the options intl.multilingual.downloadEnabled and intl.multilingual.enabled and toggle their values to "true"
• Restart TB, go to Options > Advanced > Language, click on the the small arrow in the language field, you'll see a drop-down menu like this

• Click on Search for more languages and you'll see this window in which you can choose a language you want to add

TB will install the selected language pack in Add-ons > Languages.

• To switch to another language click again on the little arrow of the actual language, select the desired language in the drop-down and click on "Apply and restart"

Warning:
because of bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1575512 the folder names in the folder pane may not be translated when you change the language. This bug will be fixed in Thunderbird 68.2.1 coming soon.

Addendum: even though in the meantime xsmith has marked his thread as "Solved" I post my message for other users who want to use Thunderbird with different language packs.