hyperlinks missing in Google search results

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Stereodoc

hyperlinks missing in Google search results

Post by Stereodoc »

When doing a Google search the results page comes up with the various search items minus the green hyperlinks. I'm running 2.49.5 with 2 profiles. This only occurs in one profile yet the links appear in the other profile. They also appear in Firefox. I don't know what I did to make them go away but would like them back.
DanRaisch

Re: hyperlinks missing in Google search results

Post by DanRaisch »

This only occurs in one profile
That points to a problem in that profile, possibly due to an installed extension. Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode using that profile? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

Dan,
Yes, same thing in Safe Mode. Also tried it with Add-ons disabled. No change.
kerft

Post by kerft »

Sometimes google sites work if you use a spoofed user agent. Perhaps the profile that works better is doing that? See here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3056289
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

Hi kerft,
I experimented with a couple of UAs as suggested in the link you provided but no change. I also used a couple of different UAs from a similar problem I experienced as some users had with the cursor being outside the google text box but again, no change.

It's no big deal if I don't see the links but it would be nice if they could be restored.

Thanks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Stereodoc wrote:It's no big deal if I don't see the links but it would be nice if they could be restored.
Might be unrelated, but I seem to remember that an IE UA string messed up those links. They were there but nothing happened when clicked. It goes way back when I was sorting out the Google searchbox using various UA strings.

Check in about:config for any existing general and site specific overrides?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

I reset all the overrides for Google including the search box UA. Links still invisible. Of course the search box issue reappeared but I returned that to previous. There were several other strings in about:config for Google, I had no idea which to choose and modify.

I don't know what I could have done to make them disappear on this one profile. Usually if I make a change to anything it gets propagated to other profiles and PCs. Stumped.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you referring to multiple profiles on one computer or multiple computers? If multiple, are all running the same extensions and security software?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Stereodoc wrote:Stumped.
No idea now.

In your position, I'd be doing the following -

about:profiles > into profile and then exit SM. Rename the profile's prefs.js to prefsGOOD.js and then restart SM and a blank prefs.js is autocreated.

If the problem is still there? - if you really have eliminated all extension/theme possible problems, then do a new profile and transfer only the good stuff over, including * below.

If problem is not there? - *copy over mail account settings from old prefsGOOD.js to new prefs.js and forget about it. Then just add any prefs needed over a period (there are never as many as you think there would be.)

Not bother trying to fix the old prefsGOOD.js - I've done bi-section and all sorts and it takes ages. Quicker just to do above.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

Frank, Dan,
Sorry for the late reply. Been crazy busy.

I have 3 computers, 2 of which run Win 7 Pro and the other XP. All 3 computers have the same SeaMonkey profiles and profile configurations. The 3 profiles are split between myself, my wife and another user. The only difference is hardware.

Initially, the subject or first Win 7 computer that exhibited this still does not show the google links and that's under my profile only. The other 2 profiles, Google links remain unchanged.

Yesterday, my other Win 7 machine started exhibiting the same symptom under my profile only. The other 2 profiles, Goggle links, remain unchanged as well.

The XP machine remains unchanged as well.

I have not done anything to configurations, downloaded loaded anything. Just use them just like I always do, just routine stuff.

Is there someway I can compare what is changing in my profile for these 2 Win7 computers against the other 2 profiles to see what is or has changed? Is there a way to compare 'about:config' between the each profile. Or compare some other area in SM between each profile? Maybe that would reveal something.

I have not tried what you suggested yet. I will this weekend and get back to you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'd suggest trying Frank's recommendations but you can compare the files (prefs.js) from the various machines using a utility like WinMerge. https://winmerge.org/?lang=en
therube

Post by therube »

Screenshots (of your Google search page results, with/without) might help.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

Had some time to fiddle and Franks suggestion did the trick. Instead of green they are now black but I can live with that.