Fixing a filter error

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
lovemyfoxy

Fixing a filter error

Post by lovemyfoxy »

TB 52.9ESR

I have an error in one filter that I just set up. The emails that are from "groups.io" are going into the general inbox instead of the designated subfolder. I've installed the "ViewAbout" extension, which is compatible with v. 52.9esr. Can I fix that filter in about:config? It won't run from Tools>Message Filters>Run now.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
DanRaisch

Re: Fixing a filter error

Post by DanRaisch »

I've installed the "ViewAbout" extension,
For what purpose?

What are the options selected for the problem extension?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"The emails that are from "groups.io" are going into the general inbox instead of the designated subfolder.'"

By general inbox do you mean the one in Local Folders? If you configured a POP account to use a global inbox that is what it is supposed to do (unless there is a message filter to move them).

If you are using a global inbox the POP accounts message filters are ignored, it uses the message filters for Local Folders instead.

The message filters pane has a checkbox to enable logging. I suggest you enable it , restart Thunderbird, and look at the log the next time the problem occurs.

'Can I fix that filter in about:config?"
No.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I installed it because I didn't know how to see about:config in TB. I've done it only in FF.
The filters aren't an extension. They're reached through Tools>Message Filters. I'm not new to filters. I have about 20 other filters on 3 accounts that work fine, all sorted by sender

I've checked
"Apply filter
"when manually run
"getting new mail

"Match all of the following
"From contains" "Groups.io."
"Move to [my account folder] Groups.io"
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on October 31st, 2019, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> config editor is how you access the equivalent of about:config in Thunderbird

The message filters for each account are stored in a "msgFilterRules.dat" file in the accounts "local directory". The local directory is specified near the bottom of each accounts server settings by the browse button. If looking at the log file doesn't help I suggest you open the "msgFilterRules.dat" file using Notepad and see how it stored what you told it to do. You can compare that files contents with the ones for the other accounts. Sometimes its easier to spot an error in specifying what it should do that way.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

By "General inbox," I meant the inbox for that mail account. Each account has a separate inbox and I use only POP3. I use Local Folders only for archiving.

Here's what that filter said in msgFilterRules.dat...
condition="OR (from,contains,@groups.io)"
I don't know why, but changing OR to AND fixed it. I'll also remove the extension.

Thanks to you both

What file contains the junk mail rules?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls

Thunderbird stores the training data in the training.dat file. That file is used by all accounts.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks. :-) Gonna miss this forum sorely if it folds.