Xft rpms

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
phoenixkid

Xft rpms

Post by phoenixkid »

For those interested, I've posted Xft tarballs and rpm's (for rh8). Enjoy.

http://phoenix.ragweed.net/
whiprush

Post by whiprush »

These rule! Thanks!

Will you be doing them for .5 too?
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

Thanks so much for creating the xft enabled builds! Question: Using the .5pre linux RPM, I am seeing neither bookmarks or history in the sidebar. Also, can't seem to get Java enabled, despite the plugin link being in the plugins directory. Any help/suggestions? Thanks!
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

Just checking, but are you sure your link points to the right directory? Ie. ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/plugins or wherever you plugins directory is.
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

Yes, thanks. That's exactly how I have it linked. The plain vanilla Phoenix build works fine, but the xft enabled has both the java issues and bookmark/history issues. That's after completely wiping out the program install directory and profile. <sigh> Ah well, enough for one day. :) Thanks for the thought though.
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

ROTFL! Just as I was about to throw in the towel, I got it working by deleting all files and directories within the phoenix path *except* for the plugins directory. I then used the tarball and copied over all but the plugins directory. Previously, I had been using the RPM. I dunno . . too much coffee? Not enough? Just dumb luck? Whatever, . . it works and this is *the* Linux browser! :)))
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

I spoke a bit too soon with respect to the java plugin. It's still not seeing it, although everything else is now working perfectly. Any suggestions are welcome, though I'm definitely calling it quits for tonight . . . this morning.
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

When started from the console, this is the error I see with respect to the java plugin at startup:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so [/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so: undefined symbol: GetGlobalServiceManager_16nsServiceManagerPP17nsIServiceManager]
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to properly explain this, but my research has led me to believe that the java issue is a result of the interaction between the jre and the version of the gcc lib used to compile Phoenix. Then again, I could have that backwards. In any case, there's apparently no fix unless one or the other is changed to make them play together. Ah well, no java for now I suppose.
RB-

Post by RB- »

geekboy2000 wrote:Unfortunately, I don't know enough to properly explain this, but my research has led me to believe that the java issue is a result of the interaction between the jre and the version of the gcc lib used to compile Phoenix. ...

In fact, the java plugin won't work if Mozilla/Phoenix is compiled on Linux with the "wrong" version (whatever that is) of gcc. There is a bug about it. It is expected that this will be fixed in the next version of the plugin. Is this your problem ?
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

Yes, I believe that is the problem, thanks very much. Now, I wonder what exactly is necessary to create an xft enabled current version (compiled in whatever way necessary) that will work?
crippled-bird

glibc 2.2 vs glibc 2.3

Post by crippled-bird »

Uh, I had the same problem with java not working with the anti-aliasing
builds. Well, the reason I came to Phoenix anyway was because Netscape
4.7.x started to crash every time it loaded a page with java after
upgrading to glibc 2.3.1. So it was important that I get java to work.

I noticed the builds I tried were compiled against glibc 2.2. Sol I
compiled my own against glibc 2.3 and everything works. I've used both
gcc 2.95 and 3.2. Both work.
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

Crippled Bird: Would you be able to make that build available somewhere? Thanks!
crippled-bird

How does one build those nifty little binary tarballs?

Post by crippled-bird »

hey geekboy:

Well, first, I spent an afternoon without Phoenix and found out how finicky these builds can be. Apparently while I can compile Phoenix with either gcc-3.2 or 2.95, fontconfig and libXft.so have to be compiled with 2.95. I have no idea why. I can't run Phoenix with the new Debian fontconfig package either. And for some reason my Phoenix wants to call libXft.so.1 instead of the libXft.so.2 that it needs. So I have to hide files and play tricks with ldconfig to get it to run. In summary, I'd be surprised if anyone could get my build to run on anything other than my stystem.

Anyway, I don't know how to build those binary packages, but if someone can explain it to me or if I can figure it out and it's less than 10 Mb, I should be able to post it. Hah, finally I can share my frustration!
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

Well, I'll be happy if I can find myself able to achieve your level of frustration. :) I spent most of last night trying to build Phoenix from Moz source, and gave up after hitting an "no rule to make target 'export'" error. I simply don't yet know enough to be able to tackle it yet. So, you're making good progress. I'll keep an eye out for your breakthrough. :)