No proper profile name associated with my profile

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DiverDoc

No proper profile name associated with my profile

Post by DiverDoc »

Greetings!

I have five profiles for different TBird Accounts. When recovering from an error the other day, it came to my attention that instead of the usual:

E:\Folder\Profiles\abcdef1g.default type profile address, one of my accounts simply has:

E:\TBird Business

as the listed location of my files.

How can I assign/create a proper profile name and structure for this account? Or is that even important?

Thanks

Sandy
tanstaafl

Re: No proper profile name associated with my profile

Post by tanstaafl »

Normally each account doesn't have its own profile, though its possible. What is the contents of your profiles.ini file
and how many accounts are listed in the mail and news section of Help -> troubleshooting information ?

Help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder will open windows explorer at the currently used profile. Normally the profiles.ini file is 2 directories above it. That file specifies the name and location of all of your profiles.

Each account has a "local directory" , which is the directory (normally within the profile) where it stores its files. That is specified in the account's server setting window, at the bottom near the browse button.
DiverDoc

Post by DiverDoc »

tanstaafl wrote:Normally each account doesn't have its own profile, though its possible. What is the contents of your profiles.ini file
and how many accounts are listed in the mail and news section of Help -> troubleshooting information ?

Help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder will open windows explorer at the currently used profile. Normally the profiles.ini file is 2 directories above it. That file specifies the name and location of all of your profiles.

Each account has a "local directory" , which is the directory (normally within the profile) where it stores its files. That is specified in the account's server setting window, at the bottom near the browse button.
Normally each account doesn't have its own profile, though its possible. What is the contents of your profiles.ini file and how many accounts are listed in the mail and news section of Help -> troubleshooting information ?

Here is the contents of my profiles.ini file:

[Install8216C80C92C4E828]
Default=E:\Thunderbird Sandy & Dorothy Email\Profiles\adpkis2w.default
Locked=1

[Profile3]
Name=Business New
IsRelative=0
Path=E:\TBird Business
Default=1

[Profile2]
Name=Business OLD OLD
IsRelative=0
Path=E:\TBird Business_OLD OLD\Profiles\a7xj4v1m.default

[Profile1]
Name=SJMPC
IsRelative=0
Path=E:\TBird SJMPC\Profiles\zn6aoydt.SJMPC

[Profile0]
Name=Business OLD
IsRelative=0
Path=E:\Thunderbird Business Email\Profiles\dyuiklfh.Sandy Business

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0
Version=2

[Profile4]
Name=Sandy and Dorothy
IsRelative=0
Path=E:\Thunderbird Sandy & Dorothy Email\Profiles\adpkis2w.default

Profile 3 is the one I mentioned in my OP. It contains my current business email. It contains three accounts. One for general correspondence, one for XR reports and one for received faxes.

Profile 1 contains my current business accounting emails.
Profiles 0 and 2 contain old business profiles that I keep for archival purposes.

So – profile 4 has 2 accounts in it – one is my personal email, and the other is my wife’s personal email, and both of those accounts are listed in the Mail and News accounts of that profile.

Exactly. So for Profile 4, the one with both of our personal email accounts, I see:

E:\Thunderbird Sandy & Dorothy Email\Profiles\adpkis2w.default\Mail\shawmail.rd.shawcable-5.net, and,
E:\Thunderbird Sandy & Dorothy Email\Profiles\adpkis2w.default\Mail\shawmail.rd.shawcable-1.net

Profile 3 looks like this:
E:\TBird Business\Mail\pop.shaw.ca for my general correspondence,
E:\TBird Business\Mail\pop.shaw-1.ca for my XR reports, and
E:\TBird Business\Mail\pop.shaw-2.ca for my faxes.

Is this helpful?

Sandy
DiverDoc

Post by DiverDoc »

Sorry, tanstaafl, I tried to quote your message and intersperse my reply but clearly that did not work. I hope you can make sense of my reply.
DiverDoc

Post by DiverDoc »

OK - I hadn't noticed this in Profile 3:
[Profile3]
Name=Business New
IsRelative=0
Path=E:\TBird Business
Default=1

What does Default=1 mean?

S.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Default=1 is the old way to specify its the default profile. Version 68 and later profiles apparently use Default=profiles location.

You appear to be using mainly profiles created before version 68, plus one that was created using version 68. So the format is different in the profiles.ini file for profiles created using version 68. You can't name them for example. In general you can edit the profiles.ini file to use the existing syntax (whether its pre-version 68 and version 68) with any profile regardless of what was used to create the profile but I don't recommend you do that .

I don't think you need to do anything to your profiles.ini file. Its just gotten confusing due to changes in the Mozilla toolkit library used in version 68.

There used to be several add-ons that made it easier to use multiple accounts and avoid accidentally sending/replying using the wrong email address. Most of them have not been ported to version 68 yet. But there is https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... nt/?src=ss . You might think about merging several of your profiles and using the folder account add-on to specify what email address is used when a folder is selected. What works best for you probably depends a lot upon how you like to organize stuff. If you like to have a separate folder for each correspondent there is more value in reducing the number of profiles.
DiverDoc

Post by DiverDoc »

OK - thanks, very much, tanstaafl! I appreciate your effort on my behalf.