I am losing my email provider

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
hayley3

I am losing my email provider

Post by hayley3 »

I love getting my email through seamonkey but I am moving and have to change my ISP.
Is there an email client that I can use through Seamonkey. Probably not but thought I would ask. I really do not like Gmail's format. Could I get gmail via Seamonkey?

Thanks,
Cheryl
ElTxolo

Re: I am losing my email provider

Post by ElTxolo »

... Could I get gmail via Seamonkey?
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Most any email provider can be set up with SeaMonkey and work great.
Last edited by Peter Creasey on November 7th, 2019, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

The email portion of SeaMonkey IS the email client. Most any email client can be configured to access most any email server (i.e. email service and account), which could be one provided by your new ISP or a separate service such as the gmail you mention. You need to provide SeaMonkey with the access parameters required by the new email server (server address and port number, username, password, etc.) which you can obtain from the mail service's web page.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

Wow that is great news! I will change it over once I move. Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I wish I had used the gmail address all along. It will be painful to change to a new email address but at least I can keep using Seamonkey.

Thanks!
Cheryl
seedy

Post by seedy »

I will mention that one client who uses Seamonkey with Gmail gets security errors from time to time when Google changes something. They are determined to be the eagle scouts of the internet and are unconcerned with collateral damage, plus forcing you to use their web interface allows them to gather more data about you.

My solution for not wanting to change email addresses was to buy my own domain. There are many registrars, I use Gandi.net and they include two free email accounts with each domain with POP access that works well with Seamonkey, A .com costs around 15/year, as long as you renew each year you'll never have to change email addresses again. They supply a list of the settings needed and have great support if you have questions. And those accounts have webmail access if you need that option at some point. They also hide your ownership contact info, which not all registrars do. Just avoid getting a .us domain, they require that your info be publicly available and I got spammed the one time I tried it, dot us is run by the US Chamber of Commerce.

One thing you can do to make the transition easier is to change the settings on the email account you already have set up for your old provider in Seamonkey to the new one, then you keep all your previous emails and addresses. When you get it changed over, send yourself a test email to make sure it works, then just send everyone an email from your new address and they can update it on their end.
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

seedy wrote:I will mention that one client who uses Seamonkey with Gmail gets security errors from time to time when Google changes something. They are determined to be the eagle scouts of the internet and are unconcerned with collateral damage, plus forcing you to use their web interface allows them to gather more data about you.

My solution for not wanting to change email addresses was to buy my own domain. There are many registrars, I use Gandi.net and they include two free email accounts with each domain with POP access that works well with Seamonkey, A .com costs around 15/year, as long as you renew each year you'll never have to change email addresses again. They supply a list of the settings needed and have great support if you have questions. And those accounts have webmail access if you need that option at some point. They also hide your ownership contact info, which not all registrars do. Just avoid getting a .us domain, they require that your info be publicly available and I got spammed the one time I tried it, dot us is run by the US Chamber of Commerce.

One thing you can do to make the transition easier is to change the settings on the email account you already have set up for your old provider in Seamonkey to the new one, then you keep all your previous emails and addresses. When you get it changed over, send yourself a test email to make sure it works, then just send everyone an email from your new address and they can update it on their end.

Hey Seedy,
I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Cheryl