Faulty downloads

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
noel_envoide

Faulty downloads

Post by noel_envoide »

For some time now I've had a consistent problem with the default Firefox download process.

I attempt a "save as" from the right click menu, and it fails. The download doesn't complete, and there is no evidence of it in the download progress menu, where you would expect to see it if it failed. When I try a second time, it is usually successful. It seems like if I go little slower with my movements, a little more deliberate, it works, but maybe it's just my imagination.

Has anyone else seen this?
Brummelchen

Re: Faulty downloads

Post by Brummelchen »

Which page
Which file
While used antivirus
?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support...

Are you running any kind of D/L Manager?

Why not try this extension which works just fine.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

There are several different Save [thing] As... commands on the context menu. Is there a particular one that has a problem?

For Save Page As, with the default "Web page, complete" setting, there so seem to be occasional failures and having to do it a second time. Someone also suggested changing the .htm file extension to .html (but I don't know if that makes any difference). Regarding UI, you should get a warning dot on the Downloads arrow letting you know it failed. If you don't see that, perhaps it never even really started saving.
kltpzyxmrm

Post by kltpzyxmrm »

Hi jscher2000,
jscher2000 wrote:There are several different Save [thing] As... commands on the context menu. Is there a particular one that has a problem?

For Save Page As, with the default "Web page, complete" setting, there so seem to be occasional failures and having to do it a second time. Someone also suggested changing the .htm file extension to .html (but I don't know if that makes any difference). Regarding UI, you should get a warning dot on the Downloads arrow letting you know it failed. If you don't see that, perhaps it never even really started saving.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner

It's really about "save link as", i.e. It could be when I'm on a Firefox addon page & trying to save the .xpi to my desktop.

Sometimes I get "failed", and sometimes it's it doesn't show up on the download arrow at all.

I use Free download Manager and Eagleget. I'm wondering if anyone else uses either of these and occasionally experiences this.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
FDM works fine here, when called upon.
Make sure that you're running the latest version though.

I've never heard of "Eagleget."
Maybe try disabling or un-installing it as a test?

See if anything in the KB article helps sort things out.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_sav ... load_files
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
kltpzyxmrm

Post by kltpzyxmrm »

The "Reset download folder" portion at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_sav ... load_files pretty much describes the condition I'm seeing
LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
FDM works fine here, when called upon.
I'm not having a problem with FDM, only with the built-in Firefox download manager, and the Save Page We addon, which uses the built-in.
LIMPET235 wrote:Make sure that you're running the latest version though.
Firefox 70.01, but I've been having this problem for quite a while.
LIMPET235 wrote:I've never heard of "Eagleget."
Maybe try disabling or un-installing it as a test?
It's a pretty well known D/L manager.

The difficulty is that the behavior is erratic. I created a fresh profile and tested it with only the Save Page We addon, and everything operated normally. I then went back to the other profile, manually disabled all the addons, and then systematically enabled them. Everything behaved normally, even after all the addons were re-enabled.

But i know it's just a matter of time uniti it happens again

Today, it also affected the built in "Save Page As" feature. Basically, nothing worked until I left the browser and came back to it later. like I said, sometimes it works on a second try, but not today.

It's also confusing what the default download manager might have to do with it. I'm manually downloading, not using the "Do this automatically for all files" option.
LIMPET235 wrote:Why not try this extension which works just fine.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
I already have it, but it doesn't help. All that happens is that it show the pending download on it's interface, but nothing else happens. It's seems to be related to anything using the built-in D\L
Brummelchen wrote:Which page
Which file
While used antivirus
?
It could be any saveable page or file. I never know until I try it.

I only use Windows Defender
jscher2000 wrote:There are several different Save [thing] As... commands on the context menu. Is there a particular one that has a problem?

I didn't notice it before with the "Save this Page" toolbar button until today.
jscher2000 wrote:Regarding UI, you should get a warning dot on the Downloads arrow letting you know it failed. If you don't see that, perhaps it never even really started saving.
When you say "Downloads arrow", do you mean when you click the arrow to see the download progress UI? If it fails, sometimes it says fail, and sometime the given download isn't registered there at all.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

eagleget
http://www.eagleget.com/
i dropped it for forgotten reason, maybe language support

maybe buggy extension?
http://www.eagleget.com/enable-eagleget ... r-firefox/

if any file is concerned it could be possible, start firefox in safe-mode or create a new profile for testing.
therube

Post by therube »

I attempt a "save as" from the right click menu, and it fails.
Example (URL) of a download that fails?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
noel_envoide

Post by noel_envoide »

I discovered Eagleget was in fact responsible.

My confusion was that randomly, a "save as" would succeed. Also, when tested in Safe mode, and it worked, and then went back to normal mode, it still worked, temporarily.

That said, it turns out, ironically, nothing is broken and it's not a addon conflict.

Unless you "pause" Eagleget's browser monitoring feature, it interferes with the Firefox "save as" function. You must use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt to bypass it, then "save as" works.

Now that I think of it, maybe the reason it worked sometimes is Eagleget was not active. I dunno.

I've tried a lot of D?L managers, but I've never seen this.

Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

some download extensions struggles theses times because since firefox 68/69 became a different API and were not fixed.

DTA owns the fix, Download Manager S3 not, its also buggy. happend around august/september