Using a Profile for all users-Firefox Version 68.0.1

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flo1971

Using a Profile for all users-Firefox Version 68.0.1

Post by Flo1971 »

Hello Guys,
i've created an APPV package of Firefox 68.0.1 and i want to use the same created profile (which i renamed DefaultUser and reworked the profile.ini file as well) for all users. I've tried to give the command line firefox.exe -no-remote -P "DefaultUser" but every time the ProfileManager windows pops up (there is only one profile available but still profilemanager is shown). I tried the other command -profile "path to profile" is works for Workstation, but i have to deploy the package on a Citrix Environment and if one user has already opened a session, it requires to close firefox cause it is already running.
Is there any other possibility for example copy the files of DefaultUser on Installdir (or somewhere else) and launching the application automatically copy them on the new created User Profile!!?
Brummelchen

Re: Using a Profile for all users-Firefox Version 68.0.1

Post by Brummelchen »

Enterprise Policy Generator, as extension.

Btw 68.0.1 is outdated.

Using command line this way causes problem if you are not aware if dedicated profiles.
Flo1971

Post by Flo1971 »

Brummelchen wrote:Enterprise Policy Generator, as extension.

Btw 68.0.1 is outdated.

Using command line this way causes problem if you are not aware if dedicated profiles.
Enterprise Policy Generator, as extension didn't help :(...
I really don't understand why they didn't add a possibility to configure the firefox for all users (same configuration) knowing that many companies use it as a browser.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

have you read the manual for the generator? you need firefox to generate the policies.json for the next setup

68.2.0 ESR
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/
you should not touch it, or the msi.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... generator/
JSON has to be put to EXE or MSI file, useless afterwards.

DefaultUser is IMO wrong way, nevertheless its made for this, i never experienced.

the way you use the command line is absolutely wrong for this usage. please read about the dedicated profiles, there exists a windows variable as switch to supress. and the switch and consequences of -no-remote is known?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Can you give more detail about what you want to do via that package?

What is that package supposed to do?
Does that install Firefox for a user on his own computer or merely launches Firefox with a preconfigued profile?
therube

Post by therube »

Instead of -P, why not use -profile, simply pointing to your common profile location.

I use something similar to this all the time.
(In my case, I actually open the profile in the current directory, ., rather then a specific location.)
-no-remote is a carryover from pre-FF67 days. If it is still needed, I have no (no one has any) clue (but doesn't seem to hurt).
%1, allows me to pass an additional parameter, if needed.

Code: Select all

if exist "C:\FIREFOX\firefox.exe" start ""   "C:\FIREFOX\firefox.exe"  -profile C:\FF-PROFILES\ALLUSERSPROFILE  -no-remote %1
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Flo1971

Post by Flo1971 »

dickvl wrote:Can you give more detail about what you want to do via that package?

What is that package supposed to do?
Does that install Firefox for a user on his own computer or merely launches Firefox with a preconfigued profile?
Hi, my virtual appv should use the configured profile (part of the virtual package) and not create the new profile for the other users (as it has some specific configure steps). The appv will be published on CTX Portal and used from many users (that needs to have the same configuration of the profile).

Thanks in advance
Flo1971

Post by Flo1971 »

therube wrote:Instead of -P, why not use -profile, simply pointing to your common profile location.

I use something similar to this all the time.
(In my case, I actually open the profile in the current directory, ., rather then a specific location.)
-no-remote is a carryover from pre-FF67 days. If it is still needed, I have no (no one has any) clue (but doesn't seem to hurt).
%1, allows me to pass an additional parameter, if needed.

if exist "C:\FIREFOX\firefox.exe" start ""   "C:\FIREFOX\firefox.exe"  -profile C:\FF-PROFILES\ALLUSERSPROFILE  -no-remote %1
This works if only one user is logged on the machine, but if another user is launching firefox on the same machine, it is saying that the Firefox is already in use. In my Case the application will be published on a CTX Portal so many user will open the application on the same time...and this will not work :(
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If you want to initialize the profiles from multiple users then you need to use an autoconfig.cfg file or a policies.json file for settings that are covered by policies.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... autoconfig
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... liciesjson
https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templ ... /README.md

If you want to use JavaScript in autoconfig.cfg (possibly to copy files) then you need to disable the sandbox via autoconfig.js.

//
 pref("general.config.filename", "autoconfig.cfg");
 pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
 pref("general.config.sandbox_enabled", false);
therube

Post by therube »

CTX Portal
What is that?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

?

So if each "user" has some pseudo-random "ID", set that ID as an environmental variable, then that user opens that Profile...

C:\TMP\SEA\portal>set P=dumy

C:\TMP\SEA\portal>C:\WLIB\FIREFOX\FIREFOX\firefox.exe -profile %P% -no-remote

C:\TMP\SEA\portal>echo %p%
dumy

C:\TMP\SEA\portal>set P=dumy2

C:\TMP\SEA\portal>set P=dumy3

C:\TMP\SEA\portal>

Directory of C:\TMP\SEA\portal

11/17/2019  09:54 AM    <DIR>          .
11/17/2019  09:54 AM    <DIR>          ..
11/17/2019  09:53 AM    <DIR>          dumy
11/17/2019  09:54 AM    <DIR>          dumy2
11/17/2019  09:54 AM    <DIR>          dumy3
               0 File(s)              0 bytes