Updates

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
peter prewett

Updates

Post by peter prewett »

I keep getting popups to report that cannot update need to download new copy every time I do it is the same as installed.
How can I stop this as the tools does not allow me to get update when I want to do so only gives two options not able to untick both either.
Peter
tanstaafl

Re: Updates

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you have a problem updating Thunderbird or with updating its add-ons?
What version of Thunderbird are you using?
peter prewett

Post by peter prewett »

My version is 68.2.2 it popups a need to download though it was the same version, which I did anyway and it still comes up again. It popup just after I did an new version update same version again as downloaded.
I do not have any add-ons just the main program on W10 computer
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird (useful but needs updating for version 68)

There are now two update locations. The old one (only one before version 68) is C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\updates . Delete it. Thunderbrid will rebuild that directory tree when needed. The new one is within %ProgramData%\Mozilla\updates . That has Thunderbrid and Firefox updates in the child directories. Opening updates.xml in Notepad and searching for Thunderbird or Firefox lets you see which application that child directory is for. Or if you are sure you've already updated Firefox you could just delete everything in that updates tree.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... ta+appdata
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... es+appdata
peter prewett

Post by peter prewett »

Thanks for responding.
The Thunderbird folder has only Profiles with three folders one empty no update folder.
Mozilla folder does not have update either only Firefox with profiles and post....
Program Data>Mozilla has a folder with updates folder deleted both as Firefox is up to date.
Will see if it happens again.
Peter
peter prewett

Post by peter prewett »

Still getting prompts to update to version that is installed.
There are no update folders in locations suggested.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

peter prewett wrote:Still getting prompts to update to version that is installed.
There are no update folders in locations suggested.
I, too, am experiencing the same thing as peter. I am seeing it with both 32-bit and 64-bit T-bird. (I DO NOT have them installed together.)

I just tried installing 68.2.1 64-bit to then update from within T-bird. After starting T-bird, I tried to update (Help>About T-bird...) and it came back saying T-bird is up-to-date.

I checked in %ProgramData%\Mozilla\updates . None of the update.xml files have "thunderbird" in them. There is nothing at the old location either.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try having windows explorer search for all instances of updates.xml on your boot disk.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

tanstaafl wrote:Try having windows explorer search for all instances of updates.xml on your boot disk.
I only find those that I have checked before that do not have "thunderbird" in them.

Considering that I have done clean installs of 32-bit and 64-bit versions and that others are experiencing the same thing, it is getting pretty hard to deny that it is T-bird bug isn't it?
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There is obviously a bug but its tough yet to tell if its due to errors in the update files or in how it checks for updates. The normal workaround is to either delete the update files or to uninstall Thunderbird and then download the full setup program and re-install it. I suggest you try the latter (since you can't find the files). Uninstalling doesn't delete your profile but if you're worried back it up first. That could be as simple as a copy&paste of the profile to another directory after using help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1269873
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1269619
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_repor ... st_version
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

@tanstaafl,

I just did a clean install of the 64-bit T-bird 68.2.2 and I still get it. In fact, I have done everything suggested in this thread plus recreated the specific profile that the issue occurs in and I still have it.
Ray

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I just deleted my updates directory. I ran Firefox and it updated, adding a child directory whose updates.xml mentions Firefox. Thunderbird was already up to date. I noticed a empty 8216C80C92C4E828 child directory was created. I searched for that string in the config editor and found app.update.migrated.updateDir2.8216C80C92C4E828 modified boolean true.

I searched for update.migrated.updateDir in Firefox about:config and found
app.update.migrated.updateDir modified boolean true
app.update.migrated.updateDir2.E7CF176E110C211B modified boolean true
Its updates.xml was in the E7CF176E110C211B child directory

The two child directories are in C:\ProgramData\Mozilla\updates on the Windows 10 version 1809 laptop I'm using.

If you search for app.update.migrated.updateDir2 in Thunderbird using the config editor what does it find?
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

I'm still getting the "We can't update" pop-up with 68.3.0 after all the suggestions here. Question... those experiencing it, did you do a Typical install or a Custom, and if Custom, did you check or uncheck Mozilla Maintenance Service? I always do a Custom/uncheck-MMS install, but just wondering what others seeing this issue are doing.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

All I do is not have the desktop shortcut installed. I have programmed ones already in place. I have the maintenance service installed too.
Ray