Error mailing to contact list: "not of the form user@host"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Swarup

Error mailing to contact list: "not of the form user@host"

Post by Swarup »

I have been using contact lists in TB for a long time with success. But today I have created another contact list, and when I try to send a mail to it, I get the following error message:

"Email address <Email address> is not a valid email address because it is not of the form user@host. You must correct it before sending the email."

Why is TB confusing this to be an email address rather than a contact list? Contact lists do not have "@" in them. The rest of my contact lists work fine. So why am I getting the above error with this one?
makaiguy

Re: Error mailing to contact list: "not of the form user@hos

Post by makaiguy »

There have been reports that spaces in list names cause problems.

For more info see this old thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... hilit=list
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Swarup

Post by Swarup »

I already tried removing the spaces from the name.

Originally it was called "List 1". I tried switching it to "List-1", but it didn't make any difference.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Special characters (non-alphanumeric) may also be problematic. Just as a test, change that name to remove the dash. If it then works it will confirm that the special character is the problem.
Swarup

Post by Swarup »

I removed the dash but it didn't make any difference.

The way I had created this list was: I have a Google Groups with 285 members in it, and I suspected that some members of the group had mistakenly set posts from the google groups to go into their spam folder. So I exported all the email addresses from the google groups into a csv file, then created a TB address book from the csv, and finally created a contact list and dragged all the 285 addresses in bulk into the contact list. When I then tried emailing to this contact list, I got the above mentioned error. After trying to adjust the contact list name in all sorts of ways without getting success, I thought perhaps there is some email address among the 285 which TB doesn't like, or somehow one may have gotten entered wrongly in the bulk drag and drop. So I created another contact list and copied and pasted each of the 285 email addresses one by one into the contact list. And then it worked perfectly. By this it is proven that the problem was in the drag-drop process or in the creation of the address book from the csv. When I looked through the email addresses in the contact list thus created everything looked fine. But there was surely some problem there somewhere. Going forward hope not to have to add each email address one by one in the future though. I will be needing to do the same process with other google groups I have.