Thudnerbird keeps getting corrupted.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
fibrolan

Thudnerbird keeps getting corrupted.

Post by fibrolan »

Hi,

I have 2 laptops that I use both using windows 10. #1 which is my HP is on my desk and use it everyday. My other laptop (#2) Toshiba is what i use to travel with. My email is imap and I have Thunderbird 68.2.2 installed on both machines. Laptop #1 on my desk works great. I only use Thunderbird and open it when I need to travel or go see a client. lately since version 68 thunderbird on laptop #2 gets corrupted. I end up uninstalling it and killing the folder Thunderbird with the profiles and then copying the profiles form Laptop #1 onto a flashdrive and reinstalling thunderbord and then copying the flashdrive with the thunderboird folder over to the laptop #2.
the first time I open thundebrord everything is great, it works. but if I try again in a couple of days I get garbage and have to do the same process again.

I cannot figure this out and need help form this forum

http://www.bsdnetworks.com/wp-content/u ... apture.png
tanstaafl

Re: Thudnerbird keeps getting corrupted.

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/SupportEmptyP ... L_messages

Do you have problems with plain text messages?

"If you see strange strings such as <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--> while viewing a HTML message it's due to proprietary HTML tags created by Microsoft Word or another Microsoft application. Outlook hides these tags so somebody mainly using Microsoft software may not be aware of the problem they're causing.

You can avoid this problem by having the sender save the HTML file as filtered HTML in Microsoft Word. This removes the proprietary tags used by Microsoft Office programs. There are also programs you can run to strip those tags if you export the message.
"

That would be a possibility if you have different "view -> message body as" settings on the two machines.

Your screen shot doesn't look like its due to a corrupted folder. Another possibility is that one of your add-ons is causing the problem. Try again after help -> restart with add-ons disabled.

I suggest you also check your hard drive for errors by using CHKDSK to do a full scan and repair pass per https://www.techjunkie.com/fix-hard-dri ... indows-10/
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

thanks for the reply. this error comes right away when you open Thunderbird.it seems that if i reinstall Thunderbird and copy the profiles from my flash drive after totally uninstalling, Thunderbird works. it seems to me if I close Thunderbird after the first time and reopen it, the error occurs. I cannot even click disable addons as it does not seem to work.

is there way to start thunderbird with a switch code or letter that states no addons ?
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

ok I think I narrowed it down and Now I need help. I started Thunderbird with the SHIFT held down and no addons were loaded and Thunderbird worked.Is there a way to start Thunderbird and pick what addons to load so i can figure out what addons is causing the problem.

What is strange is that on laptop 1 which is my desktop all these addons work. So i am not sure why they do not work on this laptop #2
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Is there a way to start Thunderbird and pick what addons to load so i can figure out what addons is causing the problem."

No, but you can start it in safe mode (by holding down the shift key when starting it), enable an add-on, and restart. Repeat as needed, choosing to enable different add-ons.
fibrolan

Post by fibrolan »

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I experimented and installed Beta 7.1 B3 and it is working perfectly except for some addons that I require. What I noticed is that Thunderbird installed as a 32bit version even though my machine is an I7 with windows 10. I am wondering if my Laptop 1 that is on my desktop is installed with 64bit and I move my Thunderbird folder to my laptop 2 which is 32bit Thunderbird will this cause problem on the addons or the profile ? maybe this is what is causing my issues of Thunderbird corrupting.

Any thoughts ?

Robert
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think you meant version 71.b3, not 7.1b3. You should be able to install and use a 64 bit version. However, you should NOT copy a installation from one machine to another. The setup program needs to modify some windows registry settings etc.

If you had clicked on the systems and languages link underneath the Thunderbird beta button it would have taken you to https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/beta/all/ which gives you the option of selecting a 64 bit windows build. I've shared profiles with 32 bit and 64 bit builds without a problem but I recommend you use 64 bit windows builds for both to remove that as a potential issue.