TB wont load my g mail or send.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rgh43

TB wont load my g mail or send.

Post by rgh43 »

Twice in the last few weeks I started getting this message.

“Connection to server pop.gmail.com was reset” Try anything and you repeatedly get this message after the activity indicator spins for a while.

I can’t send, nor do I receive any current mail. The first time this happened was about 11/24/19, it stopped with the message above appearing after a few seconds. So I had to use my G mail platform which I never use ad then about 11/27 TB started to work correctly, why? Now on 11/30/19 it started doing the same thing again, anytime I open TB up and hit get messages the activity indicator spins but I don’t get current e mails nor can I send any. I have to access me e mail thru the g mail program. Any ideas what the issue is. G mail has all my message & is current as far as I can tell.
rgh43

Re: TB wont load my g mail or send.

Post by rgh43 »

Also the same message popped up over a week ago when the problem occurred the 1st time & like I said it just fixed itself.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

* Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
rgh43

Post by rgh43 »

Thanks Dan for the reply.

Now it did start up showing all my e mails again, this issue has happend on & off for since 11/17/19 and happens for a few days or a few hours like today. Now its started up again running OK.

Server name: pop.gmail.com port 995 Default 995

User Name: I use my entire e mail address

Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication Method: Normal password.

This PC replaces my old PC that still has all the programs etc with Win 7 so I was going to copy down all my settings from TB and verify them with the now 1yr old
Win 10 PC, I will do that also. Up to a short time ago I have never had this issue.

Gary
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Given the intermittent nature of the problem it sounds more like a problem with the internet connection or on Google's side as nothing is being changed within your Thunderbird installation to cause such a problem.
rgh43

Post by rgh43 »

Dan, Thanks for the info. It is an issue with connection. I see that every so often like just ten mins ago, then as I was typing this I went back to check and it had just loaded all of today’s e mail. When it didn't load any when I opened TB. So it is an intermittent problem except for the last few weeks when it has been out a few days at a time. Will try to go to Google to see if this is an issue for other users. As I said I do not use Goggles e mail program as TB is a far superior program and much more user friendly. I will let you know what I found out. Also for some reason I did not get an e mail notification about your comments on Dec 5th, went to Google directly and do not see any e mail notification from you on the 5th? I did check my control panel & it shows my e mail address. Looked at the reply box & I see the box checked to notify me when reply is posted is checked?
rgh43

Post by rgh43 »

Spoke to soon, wont let me send either "connection to server was reset" Box pops up in the body of the write screen server timed out.. I then opened my wife's and tried to send with he r e mail address from TB same thing. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't my program issue. Maybe I should reload TB but will try to get info from Goggle first.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just as an experiment, try changing that server name to pop.googlemail.com.