Dictionary corrector not runs below the sign

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ScottPrince

Dictionary corrector not runs below the sign

Post by ScottPrince »

Hi guys,

Since some recent version the dictionary corrector is not running below the signature. It runs perfectly above only. Perhaps it can be solved by any advanced adjustment but really I have no idea which could be or if is a bug.

Really I'm using Thunderbird more than 12 years ago with same sign without any problem. The matter is my sign is above the text body in my corporative mail (upper sign), so since the recent updates, by any reason corrector is not checking any word wrote by me, what is really a problem.

Can anyone help me on this matter?

Thanks a lot
tanstaafl

Re: Dictionary corrector not runs below the sign

Post by tanstaafl »

What version of Thunderbird are you currently using - 68.2.2 or 60.9.1?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/signatures doesn't talk about adding signatures at the top of a message when composing a new message, just appending it. How are you placing your signature there? A template?

Are you using the standard signature separator/delimiter above your signature? What happens if you remove that?

If the signature is before the message body, what text is the spell checking testing when "It runs perfectly above only."? From your description I'd expect only the message headers to precede that, and that's in a different part of the compose message window.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-the ... er-1171204
ScottPrince

Post by ScottPrince »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your response.

First to say my version is 68.2.2.
I have tried with and also without standard signature separator, but same result. The signature what I use is HTML incrusted images. The best way to explain you the matter is just sending a shoot of the problem, but really I'm not sure that be possible in this post. Is there any way I can show you a pic of the problem?

Thanks a lot
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =1&vwsrc=0

Its a cached version of a KB article. The KB is currently unreachable.
ScottPrince

Post by ScottPrince »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlguib4jhs8dg ... t.png?dl=0

I have used Dropbox to get a link to the screenshot.
ScottPrince

Post by ScottPrince »

Hi,

You asked me how I was placing the signature. It is a template that contains a body inside where I write the text. Until recent versions the corrector working without problems inside the template body, but not now. I have not done any change in template, is same html code since many years ago.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

By "dictionary corrector" do you mean the built-in spelling checker? If so, are you using the default dictionary or one provided by an add-on? You might need to get an updated version of that add-on.

If you go to go to Tools -> Options -> Composition -> Spelling tab does it have a check mark beside 'Enable spelling as you type', but the 'Language' option is grayed out?
ScottPrince

Post by ScottPrince »

Yes, I mean the built-in spelling checker and use the default dictionary.
Yes, the 'Enable spelling as you type' check is active and the 'Language' option is not grayed out. (I can select between the two options Spanish and English already installed).
As I have commented the built-in spelling runs fine (in both languages runs without any problem) but only above the template, into the template it does not works since few weeks ago surely after one Thunderbird update.

Do you know if is it possible go back to any older Thunderbird version to confirm the problem is in any recent change at its code?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =1&vwsrc=0 (cache of KB article Go back to an old version of Thunderbird) . I suggest you use custom setup to install a older version in a different directory. It can co-exist with your current version.
ScottPrince

Post by ScottPrince »

Hi

Sorry for my late reply. I was investigating in proof regarding the matter. After a little fight testing old versions of Thunderbird have recover the built-in spelling normality into my template without any other adjustment. Also i have asked other friends that uses html templates similar than mine facing exactly the same problem, so finally the bug is confirmed for the most recent versions, include 68.3.1 (32-bit). So like us, all Thunderbird users what use templates as sign with body text inside or body text below the template or below of any type of signs, will have no built-in spelling checker while they write despite they have it installed and activated that important tool. Hope Mozilla community developers can revise this matter and fix for future versions.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

I wish you have a funny Christmas and a excellent 2020