Optimal Way To Organize My Kabillion Bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
thechamlin

Optimal Way To Organize My Kabillion Bookmarks

Post by thechamlin »

Okay, using FF for so many years, this is beyond way out of hand. So many bookmarks but some are still important references. I'm hoping there's a way easier way to organize them. Show All Bookmarks is just too limited a view when dealing with so many bookmarks and subfolders. Is there another option?

Ultimately, I'd like to delete the majority of old bkmks, but I need to be able to review them.

1. Best way to do this?
2. Is there a way to archive the current bookmarks but be able to "move" wanted ones to a fresh bookmark file?

Thanks,
Chamlin
the-edmeister

Re: Optimal Way To Organize My Kabillion Bookmarks

Post by the-edmeister »

For #2: Export to HTML format from Firefox to archive your bookmarks. Bookmarks.HTML is "human editable" in a text application or simple webpage editor application, along with being the universal interchange format used by most web browsers going back 25 years to Netscape - very helpful when it comes to Importing HTML into a web browser as most do handle Import but as the years go by fewer web browsers do an Export to HTML format.

When dealing with a bunch of old bookmarks in one file or in multiple different files:
When a bookmarks.HTML file is imported into Firefox, I have had some major faults (due to sloppy editing) in the bookmarks.HTML file where Firefox overlooked those faults and produced the bookmarks that remained. That helped me a lot when I was editing and combining multiple different bookmarks files into one bookmarks.HTML file. It seems that it the header was intact Firefox would process the file regardless of how I mangled the end file that I would import, YMMV

And the Bookmarks.HTML file can be edited to a limited extent right in Firefox using the built-in Midas.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Midas
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ects/Midas
Works best when high-lighting and then deleting passages in the HTML file, which avoids needing any HTML experience.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can open wanted bookmarks in a tab and close tabs with unwanted bookmarks as you inspect them.
You can possibly use "Work Offline" if you do not want to visit these bookmarked pages.
You can use bookmark all tabs to store the wanted bookmarks in a folder.
It is also possible to select multiple tabs via Clrl and a left-click and only bookmark these selected tabs via "Bookmark Tabs".

Note that you can select multiple items in the Bookmarks Manager (Library) and copy these items to the clipboard.
You can paste these selected bookmarks or history items in an HTML capable editor to get <A href="URL">Title</A> type links.
thechamlin

Post by thechamlin »

Thank you both. Working with the-edmeister's idea and using the html export to at least better see what the heck is in the file. 52,000 bookmarks. A lifetime of search and stash. Deleting them in huge clumps!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

With that many bookmarks as you have it is indeed better to use external means and edit an HTML backup.
Manipulations in the Bookmarks Manager are done via JavaScript and this isn't really suited for working with a large amount of bookmarks.
thechamlin

Post by thechamlin »

dickvl wrote:With that many bookmarks as you have it is indeed better to use external means and edit an HTML backup.
Manipulations in the Bookmarks Manager are done via JavaScript and this isn't really suited for working with a large amount of bookmarks.
Yeah, this is major surgery! :)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

This also requires to regularly make a backup of the current progress to avoid starting all over again when something goes wrong.