Mail Shows Numbers Like There Are More Messages

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Bob Fam1

Mail Shows Numbers Like There Are More Messages

Post by Bob Fam1 »

My SeaMonkey mail Inbox shows like Inbox (11). There are no more messages to read. It changes to other numbers but never 0.

What is wrong? Thanks, Bob.
TPR75

Re: Mail Shows Numbers Like There Are More Messages

Post by TPR75 »

Bob Fam1 wrote:My SeaMonkey mail Inbox shows like Inbox (11). There are no more messages to read. It changes to other numbers but never 0.
Does it occur in latest 2.49.5 version of SeaMonkey?
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
--
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Bob,

In SeaMonkey mail, at the top of the Folder pane, on the right-hand side (above the vertical scroll bar) there is an icon, if you click on that icon, you will be given three options: Total, Unread and Size, you can select any or all of those options. If you select Unread, that will give you the figure for the number of unread messages. If you select Unread and Total, that will give you two columns of figures, one for Total and one for Unread. The Unread column should show zero when there are no unread messages, the Total column will show the total number of messages regardless of the number of unread messages. The figures are usually bold when there are unread messages.

Regards,

Dave.
Bac_a_sable

Post by Bac_a_sable »

I have sometime this.
This is pretty always a junk mail dated in the past (sometimes one week or month; sometimes more). Happens more frequently from a couple of month.
Clic in round green circle to sort by read status and you will catch it.
Do not forget to "re" clic to restore the desired order after this.

Jean-Charles

Note: seamonkey 2.49.5 here
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is that a POP or IMAP type account.
Do you regularly compact the message folders? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
Bob Fam1

Post by Bob Fam1 »

amrad wrote:Hello Bob,

In SeaMonkey mail, at the top of the Folder pane, on the right-hand side (above the vertical scroll bar) there is an icon, if you click on that icon, you will be given three options: Total, Unread and Size, you can select any or all of those options. If you select Unread, that will give you the figure for the number of unread messages. If you select Unread and Total, that will give you two columns of figures, one for Total and one for Unread. The Unread column should show zero when there are no unread messages, the Total column will show the total number of messages regardless of the number of unread messages. The figures are usually bold when there are unread messages.

Regards,

Dave.
No matter which of the three options I choose it stays at 11. I have no unread messages. Bob.
Bob Fam1

Post by Bob Fam1 »

DanRaisch wrote:Is that a POP or IMAP type account.
Do you regularly compact the message folders? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
Yes I compact every time. Bob.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

POP or IMAP account?

Right click on the name of the Inbox folder in the left hand pane and then click on "Properties" in the context menu that appears. In the next dialogue that is displayed, click on the "Repair Folder" button, then on the "OK" button.
Bob Fam1

Post by Bob Fam1 »

I have done everything suggested. It now shows 394 messages when I have read all the new messages and deleted all. It s a POP3 mail account.

I have checked the Unread, Total and Size. The Total shows 394.
I have tried repairing the msf file. It says repairing but there is no change in size shown.
My inbox file size is 19,489 kb, my msf file size is 258 kb.

Is there anything else I can do? Thanks, Bob.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup ) I don't recommend using MozBackup but the manual backup is actually a simple procedure.

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close SeaMonkey and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart SeaMonkey and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
Bob Fam1

Post by Bob Fam1 »

Thanks Dan.

I am confused.

I made a backup of my Profile Profile and saved it on my HD.

I created a new sub-folder under Local Folders called Inbox 1.

You said "Close SeaMonkey and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension." Do you mean the the \Mail sub-folder of my original Profile folder and delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension in that folder?

You said "Restart SeaMonkey and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in." I have the empty Inbox 1 folder in SM. Are you saying to copy the files from my Backup into the Inbox 1?

I don't want to loose any of my existing e-mails.

Thanks. Sorry for my confusion, Bob.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you mean the the \Mail sub-folder of my original Profile folder and delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension in that folder?
Yes.
I don't want to loose any of my existing e-mails.
Thus the backup before starting the procedure.
Are you saying to copy the files from my Backup into the Inbox 1?
No. You left out a step in the process. " Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder."
I mean copy the messages from the sub-folder you created (Inbox 1) to the new Inbox folder that appeared when you restarted SeaMonkey.