Does Apple OS 10.15 Catalina support SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ruta

Does Apple OS 10.15 Catalina support SeaMonkey

Post by ruta »

Hi all,
My platform MacBookPro, OS.10.9.5, SeaMonkey 2.49.4.
I now consider purchasing a new MacBookPro running on OS.10.15 Catalina.
My question is: Shall I be able to continue mailing using the new computer?
Thanks and happy new year to all.
frg

Re: Does Apple OS 10.15 Catalina support SeaMonkey

Post by frg »

Latest version is 2.49.5 and has fixes for 10.14. It will probably not work reliably on 10.15 if it doesn't crash outright. I briefly tested it when 10.15 arrived but gave a warning not to upgrade because of reported problems with Firefox.

I tested the upcoming 2.53.1 on 10.15.2 and so far it seems to be ok. But it is not notarized and so "working" might end any day. If notarization is to be made mandatory it will probably be the end of the line. I somehow don't expect it to work in 10.16 but we will see.

Apple is unfortunately turning macOS into a walled garden and the latest hardware is overpiced. Which would be ok if it is easily repairable but this is not the case too. Very unfortunate. I like my old mini Mac 2012 more than the latest ones.

To make it short: There is a good chance that it will work :)

Soon a happy new year
FRG
ruta

Post by ruta »

Tnx FRG.
Do you have a magic reliable formula for migrating in one go 38K SeaMonkey msgs, stored in abt 300 folders and subfolders, to APPLE MAIL boxes/folders?
I received many advices, including in this forum, none of which works.
The maximum I could transfer was abt 16K, and in disorderly fashion.

Tks again
frg

Post by frg »

I am not a mac person and only support SeaMonkey. Sorry.

FRG
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:I received many advices, including in this forum, none of which works.
How about "ImportExport Tool" extension?
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... porttools/

Home page:
https://freeshell.de//~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

KB page:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_fol ... he_Folders

Did you tried this?
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Tried those all, and more, thank you.
The founding fathers of SeaMonkey, in their wisdom, did not build an EXPORT function into the program.
It seems the problem exists for some time and has no easy solution.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:The founding fathers of SeaMonkey, in their wisdom, did not build an EXPORT function into the program.
The Founding Fathers of SeaMonkey, in their wisdom, did build support for extensions... :wink:

"EXPORT" function will be available to user after installing "ImportExport Tools" extension. Did you installed this extension?
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

My apology for a belated reply. I was on a very long air travel from Australia.
I sure did try ImportExport Tools and it did not work.
I even tried to communicate with Mr Koasmos, the gentleman who produced that extension, but my emails to him were unanswered.
I wish you could give me an answer to my problem.
In a way I am in a desperate situation.
I wish to upgrade to a new computer, but there is a very good chance I shall not be able to migrate and carry on using my SeaMonkey with it's archive of 38,000 emails.
I must find a way to migrate all to APPLE MAIL.
I am told iMAP is the only answer but it seems to me to be complicated and insecure.
Tks
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:I sure did try ImportExport Tools and it did not work.
You want to export from SeaMonkey and to import into Apple Mail, right?
It is possible using "ImportExport Tools" extension:
https://mosswebworks.com/move-mailboxes ... pple-mail/
Don't mind Thunderbird, it's the same mechanism like in SeaMonkey.

I don't have Apple computer but I tested it with SeaMonkey different profiles:
1) create folder where you'll place exported "things"; it's important to have dedicated folder because date/time of exported files will not but current/present.
2) export there like described on above website; but remember, to dedicated folder, not "desktop"
3) exported folder is saved as a file (without file's extension), above website claims you need to change file's name to something with ".mbox" (e.g. "Incoming.mbox", "Drafts.mbox", "Sent.mbox")
4) use your Apple app to import "MBOX" file.

How about now? Did it work?

I hope you'll stay with SeaMonkey as long as possible but I understand that Apple have some prerequisites and free software devs cannot afford for "paid authorization", like FRG mentioned above.

BTW I did tested it between SM 2.49.5 and SM 2.53.2beta profiles. And was not able to see imported content until SeaMonkey was restarted.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

TPR75 wrote:
ruta wrote:I sure did try ImportExport Tools and it did not work.
You want to export from SeaMonkey and to import into Apple Mail, right?
It is possible using "ImportExport Tools" extension:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://mosswebworks.com/move-mailboxes ... -mailboxes ... pple-mail/</a><!-- m -->
Don't mind Thunderbird, it's the same mechanism like in SeaMonkey.

I don't have Apple computer but I tested it with SeaMonkey different profiles:
1) create folder where you'll place exported "things"; it's important to have dedicated folder because date/time of exported files will not but current/present.
2) export there like described on above website; but remember, to dedicated folder, not "desktop"
3) exported folder is saved as a file (without file's extension), above website claims you need to change file's name to something with ".mbox" (e.g. "Incoming.mbox", "Drafts.mbox", "Sent.mbox")
4) use your Apple app to import "MBOX" file.

How about now? Did it work?

I hope you'll stay with SeaMonkey as long as possible but I understand that Apple have some prerequisites and free software devs cannot afford for "paid authorization", like FRG mentioned above.

BTW I did tested it between SM 2.49.5 and SM 2.53.2beta profiles. And was not able to see imported content until SeaMonkey was restarted.
Thank you for tour note above.
In the past I tried several times exporting via the site
But unfortunately it did not work.
I must have done something wrong, as each time it exported less that half my files.
With reference to changing file names to MBOX, how can I change 38,000 names?

I shall try amosswebworks gain in a few days.

As to your final sentence, were you unable to see ALL contents (namely you have seen PART contents) or you were not able to see ANY contents at all?
Tks
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:In the past I tried several times exporting via the site
But unfortunately it did not work.
I must have done something wrong, as each time it exported less that half my files.
With reference to changing file names to MBOX, how can I change 38,000 names?

I shall try amosswebworks gain in a few days.

As to your final sentence, were you unable to see ALL contents (namely you have seen PART contents) or you were not able to see ANY contents at all?
Tks
If you have 38,000 folder then... well, is it even possible? :wink:

You need to export entire folder containing your messages, not every single of them. Don't click on a message inside of a folder nor mark them all - just click folder at Folder Tree on the left. After exporting such folder (e.g. Inbox) then you'll get one (big!) file named "Inbox" (without any file's extension).

When I tested this feature of "ImportExport Tools" extension then I wasn't able to see anything what was imported until I restarted SeaMonkey.

I don't know how it will handle such big amount of messages but maybe it will just copy folder from your SeaMonkey's profile. Actually you can do this without IET extension:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Export_to_Mail.app

Code: Select all

~/Library/SeaMonkey/Profiles/youruserprofile/Mail/Local Folders/
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you.
I have 38,000 emails. They are contained in about 300 folders.
I shall follow your instructions and see the results.
I recall now that I made an experiment and tried to migrate ONE FOLDER only from the 300, and even that did not migrate all it's messages in full.
Anyway, after I attend to some very urgent matters I shall have a clear head and will try that migrating, which is very important to me.
Dziękuję Ci
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:I have 38,000 emails. They are contained in about 300 folders.
"- 300?! This is mandess!
- No. This. IS. RUU-TAA...!"

I propose to skip "ImportExport Tools" extension (to not mess with folder content) and just copy all adequate files from your profile to new folder and then make "mass rename" to add ".mbox". I don't have Apple computer nor knowledge how to do it on MasOS.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

300?! This is mandess!

300 folders is the product of 20+ years of business and personal correspondence.
My fear is that one day Apple hardware will no more support SeaMonkey and consequently I shall lose access to my mail archive.
I shall investigate the MASS RENAME issue within the next few days after clearing my current workload.
Thanks
kerft

Post by kerft »

As these emails are important to you, after you make a backup of your entire computer, I hope many Apple technicians could do this import so you might hire one. Thunderbird and Seamonkey use the same data structures, it may be easier to find an Apple technician who has heard of Thunderbird than Seamonkey and import steps should be the same. Some people here seem to find it easier to use an IMAP server (it doesn't have to be your normal account or your normal email provider) as a file transfer method between email software, this is mentioned at the bottom here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Export_mail_i ... Apple_Mail and in other posts on this forum, or you can ask your question on an Apple mail support forum also. There are probably not 38,000 files to hold your 38,000 messages - there are 600 files, one big file and one index for each of the 300 folders.

It is implied that Apple Mail and Thunderbird/Seamonkey hold their message data in the same file format, mbox, just on Apple it uses inbox.mbox and Seamonkey it is just inbox (and folder5.mbox for folder5). Renaming a COPY of the 300 files, make backups of your profile first!!, would make them the same as how Apple Mail stores its own files. Then you still need to get Apple mail to realize it should be looking at or for those files. There are utilities that can rename 300 files automatically, or there may be an advanced method to do it using Apple's UI.
I apologize I also am not a Mac user so some of this may be wrong and I cannot provide the details, I do not know if you will find a Mac user here. If there is one, maybe someone can PM them a link to this thread.