One alias can't send

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
i_am_jim

One alias can't send

Post by i_am_jim »

My host lets me have multiple aliases under one account. I have 11 aliases under one account. When I want to Write a message it shows a list of all these aliases. When I try to send send a message from a certain one of these aliases the server always times out. That is, though I can receive mail for this alias I'm unable to send mail from it. All of the other aliases work properly.

Any ideas?
tanstaafl

Re: One alias can't send

Post by tanstaafl »

Each alias is a "multiple identity" for that account? If so, edit its settings to use the same smtp server entry as the main email address for the account. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_iden ... il_account

If its not a multiple identity, what is it? Some custom From: address you added, that should default to using the accounts smtp server entry? Thunderbrid won't discover aliases created a email provider, you have to tell it about those addresses. How you told it about them determined what it thinks they are.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

It is one of the 11 "identities". I don't set the SMTP server for any of the identities. I simply add the alias to the list of identities. I don't have any other settings for identities. This alias is simply one of the 11 on the list. Since all are of them are under/part of/subs to the primary account the identities use the primary account's SMTP. And, all of the other 10 on the list send properly.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Multiple identities are created with a cloned copy of the accounts settings (which should specify a smtp server). As a minimum you then modify the From: address. Are you sure that none of the other multiple identities doesn't specify a smtp server (even though you didn't add one)?

I'm not aware of multiple identities being able to inherit unspecified settings from the account. The other possibility is to fallback to using the default smtp server. That normally isn't used nowadays due to the new account wizard creating smtp server entries when an account is created. But its worth checking what it is set to.

The only other possibility I can think of is that even though you call it an identity, perhaps its not a real identity (managed through the manage identities button in the accounts settings). Perhaps you're just using a list of custom From: addresses for the other "identities", that the list box remembers for you. If your email provider supports that, it doesn't require you to create a multiple identity. Sometimes the terminology can get real confusing :)

Is the identity that doesn't send in the same domain as the other "identities"?

I suggest you use the config editor and compare what is returned when you search for one of the other identities, and the one that doesn't send.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

tanstaafl wrote:The only other possibility I can think of is that even though you call it an identity, perhaps its not a real identity (managed through the manage identities button in the accounts settings). Perhaps you're just using a list of custom From: addresses for the other "identities", that the list box remembers for you. If your email provider supports that, it doesn't require you to create a multiple identity. Sometimes the terminology can get real confusing :)
I wondered the same thing. Perhaps the mail server only supports 10 of these for any given account? :-k
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

tanstaafl wrote:The other possibility is to fallback to using the default smtp server.
Actually, I am using the default smtp server.
Perhaps you're just using a list of custom From: addresses for the other "identities", that the list box remembers for you. If your email provider supports that, it doesn't require you to create a multiple identity.
I guess this board does not support images. I will try to find another way and send you where I get the list.
Is the identity that doesn't send in the same domain as the other "identities"?
Other than a different name, yes.
I suggest you use the config editor and compare what is returned when you search for one of the other identities, and the one that doesn't send.
What & where is the config editor?
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To access the Config Editor use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General->click on the Config Editor button at lower right.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

Thanks.

mail.identity.id21.useremail;works@samedomain

mail.identity.id25.useremail;doesntwork@samedomain
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you compare mail.identity.id21.* and mail.identity.id25.* and see if anything other than .useremail is different. .smtpserver should be different since they will use different usernames. If they were smtp2 and smtp3 respectively you'd want to compare mail.smtpserver.smtp2.* and mail.smtpserver.smtp3.* to see if anything other than .username is different. Just to be through verify that the two smtp servers are listed in mail.smtpservers .

Since sending times out rather than returning a login failure that makes me wonder if the smtp server is using the wrong port or has the wrong .try_ssl setting.

Did you also verify that you can still send a message using the doesn't work alias from webmail (browser based)?
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

tanstaafl wrote:I suggest you compare mail.identity.id21.* and mail.identity.id25.* and see if anything other than .useremail is different. .smtpserver should be different since they will use different usernames. If they were smtp2 and smtp3 respectively you'd want to compare mail.smtpserver.smtp2.* and mail.smtpserver.smtp3.* to see if anything other than .username is different. Just to be through verify that the two smtp servers are listed in mail.smtpservers .
My head swims. There are too many settings to see what's different. id25 has an smtpserver listed. id21 does not. But, I found an identity with an smtpserver listed that was also working. So, whether they have smtp servers listed or not doesn't seem to matter.
Since sending times out rather than returning a login failure that makes me wonder if the smtp server is using the wrong port or has the wrong .try_ssl setting.
I searched on try_ssl setting and nothing came up.
Did you also verify that you can still send a message using the doesn't work alias from webmail (browser based)?
I've never used webmail for the account associated with this smtp. I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how and gave up, but it appears Comcast only allows you to send webmail using the username associated with the account.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I assumed you were using a web hosting company like GoDaddy, HostGator or DreamHost to be your email provider, and you used cPanel to manage it. If you are using Comcast (your ISP) as your email provider why did you originally say "My host lets me have multiple aliases under one account. I have 11 aliases under one account." ?

"I searched on try_ssl setting and nothing came up."

I have mail.smtpserver.smtpX.try_ssl where X=1,2,3,4 and 5, plus a mail.smtpserver.default.try_ssl using either Thunderbird version 68.4.2 or 60.9.1. What version are you using? AFAIK that field has existed since at least version 3.1

"d25 has an smtpserver listed. id21 does not"
I don't know if it will default to using the "default smtp server" in that case. Perhaps there is something wrong with the default smtp server setting. However, when you create a new managed identity it clones the accounts settings and then lets you edit the values. Normally you just edit the From: email address and maybe the username for the smtp server. I have no idea how you lost the smtp server setting when the multiple identity id25 was created.

I suggest you delete id25 and create it again.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

tanstaafl wrote:I assumed you were using a web hosting company like GoDaddy, HostGator or DreamHost to be your email provider, and you used cPanel to manage it. If you are using Comcast (your ISP) as your email provider why did you originally say "My host lets me have multiple aliases under one account. I have 11 aliases under one account." ?
I use my webhost's POP and Comcast's SMTP.

"I searched on try_ssl setting and nothing came up."
mail.smtpserver.smtpXI have mail.smtpserver.smtpX.try_ssl where X=1,2,3,4 and 5, plus a mail.smtpserver.default.try_ssl using either Thunderbird version 68.4.2 or 60.9.1. What version are you using? AFAIK that field has existed since at least version 3.1
I must have done something wrong the first time because now when I search on the same characters I get this:
Note that neither id21 or id25 are on the list.
Perhaps there is something wrong with the default smtp server setting.
Remember, all the other identities under this account work.
I suggest you delete id25 and create it again.
I did that during the previous round on this issue. There are side effects when you delete an identity. E.G., filters for the identity stop working.
Last edited by i_am_jim on January 28th, 2020, 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

The picture won't appear so I'll try here Image

ok, how about this https://imgur.com/a/0mykBQE
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

I guess everyone gave up on this. I still have the same problem and now it prevents me from claiming $2000