esr update made a big mess... and mess is too polite a word

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TDV

Re: esr update made a big mess... and mess is too polite a w

Post by TDV »

LIMPET235 wrote:TDV,
If I may....?
I know that you want to keep using CCleaner, but please....
open it, go to the Applications Tab & remove any/all references to Firefox & Thunderbird.
It is most definitely not required for any other program to touch or modify any files in Firefox or Thunderbird.

As for Firefox removing any Restore Points?
Not likely.

Be aware that MS & some...errr one of it's so called "Updates" did more that it was intended to do.
I lost quite a few of my Restore Points a few months ago, due to an MS update.

So...do not blame Firefox.

&... I only get the Security Only updates for WIN7.
Go to askwoody dot com to keep up on all the newest & safest updates for WIN7.

I do not intend to install any updates after today, (10th Jan.), as I do not trust MS, along with a lot of other people.
I may not necessarily accept it, but Ialways appreciate your advice.

But in this case you misunderstand. First of all it is important to me that ccleaner removes the cookies I want removed, and leaves the ones I want to keep. Ff cannot provide that service, ccleaner can.
The second reason is, that only ccleaner gives me the list of all the extension that Ff starts, when it is started. They used give the choice to deactivate and delete them one by one, now you can only deactivate them. I have been using Ff basically since it appeared (after Netscape?) and as I have written, there used to be three or four extensions, with Quantum there suddenly were a dozen, and with 68.4.1 there are now two dozen, like twitter, e-bay, and two amazons, and other crap.....
Not only does this garbage have anything to do on my computer, Ff as usually simply does these things without telling users... what to say about asking. Firefox updates have long ago ceased to be improvements, and as I always say, I only use it because it is the least bad of browsers.

As far as the restore points go, what I wrote was that they probably have been deleted by the Ff update too, as it happened at the same time. It may as well be a strange coincidence, I do not know. But it is weird that it happened exactly when I felt I needed to revert to an older version of Ff.
And, to make that clear, I trust Ccleaner even less than I trust Ff, since the day it was sold to Avast. Like so many, I am using an old version of ccleaner.

I get, or rather as we now have to say, I did get my Win7 updates, filtered, from a very reliable source, and I assume the ESU updates will come from them also. Again, like so many, I stopped using updates from MS directly, when the telemetry story and the attempts to force the change to Win 10 happened.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I'm interested in what version of CCleaner you're running?
Never heard of CCleaner being able to create a "List of extensions" in any browser.
Perhaps if you ask your Q's? re; the "lost Restore Points" etc., etc., at their Support forum?
> https://forum.piriform.com/

"They" (AVAST), decided to update my good 'ol reliable version of 2.34.1200 to "their"
latest version a few months ago without my permission.

Took me a while, but was finally able to return to my old version which works well.
(Thanks to an AVAST/CCleaner user.)
No added crapola.

If you want the best Security Only updates for WIN7, then go to...
> https://www.askwoody dot com/forums/topic/2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1/

In 4 days time, WIN7 will receive it's last updates from MS, but it's your choice as to whether or not you install them.
Personally, I will not.
A heap of others will not either.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Some of the extensions you talk about are likely search engines that are now builtin extensions.
TDV

Post by TDV »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
I'm interested in what version of CCleaner you're running?
Never heard of CCleaner being able to create a "List of extensions" in any browser.
Perhaps if you ask your Q's? re; the "lost Restore Points" etc., etc., at their Support forum?
> https://forum.piriform.com/

"They" (AVAST), decided to update my good 'ol reliable version of 2.34.1200 to "their"
latest version a few months ago without my permission.

Took me a while, but was finally able to return to my old version which works well.
(Thanks to an AVAST/CCleaner user.)
No added crapola.

If you want the best Security Only updates for WIN7, then go to...
> https://www.askwoody dot com/forums/topic/2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1/

In 4 days time, WIN7 will receive it's last updates from MS, but it's your choice as to whether or not you install them.
Personally, I will not.
A heap of others will not either.
I use version 5.08.5308, but that is simply one of many usable old versions
On the left side you find "Tools", third from the top. There you will see, second from the top "Startup" and then there are all the tabs, one of them is Firefox.
Have a look at it you will be surprised....

For AV software I have only used EMSI and Defender for the last few years, once a week..... Never find anything... for at least 10 years now.

As far as Win7 goes.... I have a reliable source, used by thousands....
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Regardless of your current situation, Firefox is one of the easiest, probably THE easiest program you have installed to fix.
This is because you SIMPLY close Firefox, delete your profile folder and copy/paste your backed up profile folder. THAT'S IT.

That's where your changes are. IN THAT SIMPLE *ONE FOLDER*. Just copy the folder and save it for later. INSTANT fix.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I do this all the time, in less than one second.
I made a windows .bat file which I double click and erases the current profile folder and copy/pastes the backed up folder. Just make this in Notepad and save it as a .bat extension. The example is for C: drive folder locations, you would change the folder location address:

rmdir C:\this\is\the\custom\location\of\your\Firefox\profile /s /q
Xcopy /E /I C:\this\is\backup\folder\location C:\this\is\the\custom\location\of\your\Firefox\profile
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

I also have multiple Windows versions installed on my computer and reimage my Windows partition in less than two minutes. But that's unnecessary for Firefox because the PROFILE FOLDER controls settings.
Firefox is BETTER, much much better to customize things like this than any other browser. Than most other software.
Your blaming Firefox is entirely misplaced. You can still modify whatever you want.
You just need to clearly ask here what you want and people will tel you how to do it.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
TDV

Post by TDV »

c627627 wrote:Regardless of your current situation, Firefox is one of the easiest, probably THE easiest program you have installed to fix.
This is because you SIMPLY close Firefox, delete your profile folder and copy/paste your backed up profile folder. THAT'S IT.

That's where your changes are. IN THAT SIMPLE *ONE FOLDER*. Just copy the folder and save it for later. INSTANT fix.
You are another one who simply keeps missing the point.

While I agree that Ff is the best of all the awful, horrible browsers out there, why do I have to replace my profile regularly in the first place?

And on top of it, the real problem which was a present inside the last update:
As I wrote, Ff simply added 10 more extensions to the list that is automatically started, when I open Ff. Without telling me, and certainly without asking!
And the only reason why I know this, while you know NOTHING about it, is that I use another horrible software: ccleaner

Reading commentaries like yours is a bit insulting...
TDV

Post by TDV »

c627627 wrote:I do this all the time, in less than one second.
I made a windows .bat file which I double click and erases the current profile folder and copy/pastes the backed up folder. Just make this in Notepad and save it as a .bat extension. The example is for C: drive folder locations, you would change the folder location address:

rmdir C:\this\is\the\custom\location\of\your\Firefox\profile /s /q
Xcopy /E /I C:\this\is\backup\folder\location C:\this\is\the\custom\location\of\your\Firefox\profile
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

I also have multiple Windows versions installed on my computer and reimage my Windows partition in less than two minutes. But that's unnecessary for Firefox because the PROFILE FOLDER controls settings.
Firefox is BETTER, much much better to customize things like this than any other browser. Than most other software.
Your blaming Firefox is entirely misplaced. You can still modify whatever you want.
You just need to clearly ask here what you want and people will tel you how to do it.
We live on different planets.... your life is caring for your computer, while I simply use my computer for my real life, away from the computer. Something which you do not seem to have....
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Seeing as you do not want any reasonable advice or assistance & to stop this from getting a tad abusive & personal, this is being locked.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)