Firefox slow as molasses beta channel user

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
randyandy

Firefox slow as molasses beta channel user

Post by randyandy »

Greetings. I installed FF Version 73,0 beta 3 today. The update (about 5 MB in size) took longer than usual to install.

To open Firefox I timed it at 45 seconds. This has been consistent throughout the day give or take a few seconds. I put Google to work and I'm finding the'

same very slow process of opening my Bookmarks, etc. This may have actually started with the install of 73.0.beta 2. on Jan 8th.

By comparison, Chrome opens in 9 seconds. Internet Explorer about the same.

Anyone else having the same experience.

As usual I say thanks for any input from Forum members,

Cheers, Randy Andy
smsmith

Re: Firefox slow as molasses beta channel user

Post by smsmith »

Betas are best discussed in the Builds forum, so I am moving this there.

You are using a separate profile for your beta installation? How does opening time compare when you start in safe mode?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

Hi smsmith. Separate profile? I don't think so. A friend wise in the way of computers set things up for me a number of years back. Whatever profile, Firefox has performed mostly well. Until two days ago when I installed the newest beta version ...small in size at about 5 MB...was slow enough completing the task to catch my attention. And it was after that the worrisome times to launch Firefox
started.

As for Firefox safe mode, I don't think so. When I tried it once before it caused me too much grief disengaging to return the normal mode. Once bitten, twice shy so to speak,

I did turnoff the two add-ons I use...WOT and Adblock. . There was no noticeable improvement in the opening speed of loading Firefox. Besides, Firefox and the add-ons have been compatible
for several generations of Firefox updates. For me Firefox has never had the start-up speed of Chrome or Internet Explorer... but being my default browser for so long, I've stayed faithful.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Why are you using a Beta Build if you just want a normal no problems browser?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

IMO there not much different from a Beta an a stable build
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Still a development channel with all the risks
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

malliz, hello. If you read my note above the beta channel decision was made by a tech wise friend. I didn't see a reason to challenge him then, nor would I now. This is the first serious hiccup
in four years when my buddy re-installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

I know I'm one of thousands on the beta channel. Is my complaint the only one so far? Gives one pause for thought,

MOUSE4...thanks for your input,
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

malliz wrote:Still a development channel with all the risks
an using a stable channel aint risky ?
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

Mouse4 wrote:an using a stable channel aint risky ?
Yes, there is risk, but less risk than Beta.

No matter which channel, my experience has been that about once every 3rd or 4th year I have to either refresh Firefox or start using a new profile (and port Bookmarks over, usually good enough to copy places.sqlite* over while Firefox is down), and that solves some performance issues or odd behaviors. I don't know if it is some junk accumulating in the profile folder, or if some settings I may have made has taken up new meanings.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It’s a matter of degree, obviously. Can something go wrong in a release version? Of course. Are there likely to be more potential issues in the development versions.. Of course. Fewer people have been using the development versions to identify issues and identify fixes or workarounds so the user who just wants to use the browser is more at risk of problems with a nightly or beta version than with the release channel version.
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

I guess a 'YIPPEE' will suffice. For the H of it ...and frustrated with the SLOW opening of Firefox, I did a restart. Once up and running I clicked on the Firefox icon and EUREKA, the main page fully
loaded in 9 (NINE) seconds. Three times in succession. Go figure.

I just noticed a new update for beta channel folks is available. I'll install it with no trepidation,.

On that note, good night from Beautiful British Columbia.