Marking good mail as spam

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Marking good mail as spam

Post by ep2012 »

Ok, well I can't read 15 pages on that pinned post (I read the first & last one), but I guess the forum is still running thank gawd LOL

I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for this forum. Anything extreme I create a bug report for.

Onto the topic...

So I order from this site all the time & have for the last 8 or so years & all of the sudden today TB is marking the order e-mails as spam. It's never happened before.

I marked the first one as not junk & it did it to the 2nd one 30 mins. later.

This also caused me stress b/c I was trying to figure out why I wasn't getting it & I needed to cancel the order & I didn't think it went thru.

How do I whitelist it? I've never had to whitelist good mail before or eventually it stops being labeled spam.

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
makaiguy

Re: Marking good mail as spam

Post by makaiguy »

Is it actually being labeled "spam" or is it "junk"? Thunderbird doesn't use the therm "spam". If it's "spam" it's likely being tagged as that by your mail server.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

makaiguy wrote:Is it actually being labeled "spam" or is it "junk"? Thunderbird doesn't use the therm "spam". If it's "spam" it's likely being tagged as that by your mail server.
Sorry for the delay. I only saw the e-mail now.

Hmm, well in Bugzilla they said it was due to Spam Assasin in TB, not my hoster's e-mail server. So I turned that off.

I've never had those e-mails labeled that before & I've been on the same hoster for 2 years. The only thing that changed was me updating TB.

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Spam Assassin is normally run on the server by your email provider (if they don't use something else to detect spam). Its not part of Thunderbird. All Thunderbird has is a Bayesian filter that you can train, that they call "adaptive junk mail controls". You can configure it to trust SpamAssassins judgement though on whats spam .Configuring it basically tells it what headers are modified by SpamAssassin and how to interpret them.

How did you turn off SpamAssassin?

Many email providers that run SpamAssassin provide a way to configure how aggressive it should be about deciding whether a message is spam. You typically do that by setting a threshold such as if the spam score is above 9 its spam. Frequently you can also white list senders. Sometimes that is as simple as adding the address to your contacts in webmail.

If you're going to quote something from Bugzilla it helps to post a link to the bug report.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

tanstaafl wrote:Spam Assassin is normally run on the server by your email provider (if they don't use something else to detect spam). Its not part of Thunderbird. All Thunderbird has is a Bayesian filter that you can train, that they call "adaptive junk mail controls". You can configure it to trust SpamAssassins judgement though on whats spam .Configuring it basically tells it what headers are modified by SpamAssassin and how to interpret them.

How did you turn off SpamAssassin?

Many email providers that run SpamAssassin provide a way to configure how aggressive it should be about deciding whether a message is spam. You typically do that by setting a threshold such as if the spam score is above 9 its spam. Frequently you can also white list senders. Sometimes that is as simple as adding the address to your contacts in webmail.

If you're going to quote something from Bugzilla it helps to post a link to the bug report.
Here's the link & I just re-read it. He did say it's SA, but that I need to turn it off in TB, so to me that means SA works thru TB.

At no time did he say I had to go some place else (CPanel for example) & tweak things there.

And if it was only SA & not TB, why wasn't it acting this way prior to me updating? That's the only thing that changed.

Maybe it is a coincidence & my terrible hoster turned something on at around the same time I updated, but I would never know, & they are too stupid for me to get a correct answer from them.

I'm actively looking for a new hoster.

And when I unchecked SA in those TB accounts, the problem disappeared, although it's hard to tell when I unchecked it b/c in the thread every comment says a month ago & I'm sure it hasn't been a month since I did that.

I still don't get why bad mail doesn't get labeled as spam, but good mail does & no, I can't add 100's of strangers to my address book. I refuse to do that. Most of this stuff is from newsletters. They aren't people I know personally.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1612234

Thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The junk mail controls are configured to trust SpamAssassin's judgement. If SpamAssassin suddenly has problems recognizing spam, you're going to get almost all of that spam in Thunderbird. Nothing in that bug report indicates that the problem is with Thunderbird.

All that you can do is uncheck "Trust junk mail headers set by SpamAssassin", and complain to your email provider that SpamAssassin is doing a lousy job. Hopefully other people will file support tickets with them too. It will be tempting for them to scapegoat Thunderbird, so if you take the time to log into webmail with a browser and confirm the problem occurs there, they will take you much more seriously. Once SpamAssassin works better you can recheck "Trust junk mail headers set by SpamAssassin"

I wouldn't be surprised if your email provider recently updated the SpamAssassin software and is having problems tweaking the rules to get it to work effectively.

"I can't add 100's of strangers to my address book. I refuse to do that. Most of this stuff is from newsletters."
Are you saying you subscribe to hundreds of newsletters? If not I'm confused why you don't at least white list the senders of the newsletters. Those addresses is not going to change. I'd suggest white listing them using webmail as its typically much quicker to do that with webmail than with Thunderbird. Exactly how you do that depends upon your email provider.