Question on moving Firefox from old to new pc

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
fdm2000

Question on moving Firefox from old to new pc

Post by fdm2000 »

I followed a tutorial on how to move my Firefox profile from a Windows 7 desktop to a Windows 10 desktop. Each step went without incident from the AppData folder where I found the Mozilla folder and copied it to a thumb drive. When I open the Mozilla folder to view its contents I see 3 folders:
Extensions (empty)
Firefox-SystemsExtension Dev(empty)
Firefox:
when I open Profiles in this folder there are two sub folders: d407hsx7.New profile and 1evfqeih.default-1426616429732
Do I paste the entire Mozilla folder and contents into the AppData folder on the Windows 10 pc or just one of the above profiles? Only the second one contains the extensions?
Any advice would be appreciated,
Frank
DanRaisch

Re: Question on moving Firefox from old to new pc

Post by DanRaisch »

First run the Firefox installer on the new computer so that a profile will be created on that system.

Second, confirm which profile is active on the old computer by launching Firefox on that machine and using menu path Help->Troubleshooting information and reviewing the value next to "Profile Folder" (the tenth line of the information shown). Then click on the "Open Folder" button, which will launch Windows Explorer to that active profile. Copy the contents just that folder to the thumb drive.

Third, on the new computer, use the above menu path in Firefox to reach the active profile folder. Close Firefox on that new machine but keep that Windows Explorer window open and paste the data from the old machine into the profile folder, replacing the files created during the installation of Firefox. The profile name on the new system will be different than that on the old but the data will be the same because you overwrote the default (installation) values. Launch Firefox on the new machine.
fdm2000

Post by fdm2000 »

Again I am in your debt Dan - your method for moving the transfer is much simpler that the method outlined on helpdeskgeek.com.

Will use your method once I start up my new Win 10 pc.

Frank
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. Hope it all works smoothly for you, Frank.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

FWIW, I've been using FF since 2004 on too many devices to remember. Every time I have to transfer (T-Bird also) my profile to a new machine it's like re-learning trigonometry. I can't believe nobody has figured out a simple way of doing it by now.

I now have a months-old laptop and I had to reload Windows on it, so I have to do the copying again. There used to be a third-party app (as I recall) that worked fine for me numerous times for both FF and Tbird, but a search for it landed me here.

The machine I am posting from is a W10 and FF with the latest updates. Following the above directions I end up here and am not sure what to do. The machine I want to copy it to is W11. I also need to copy my Tbird profile:

Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

I think I've got it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It would be appreciated if you would report how you “got it”.