Thunderbird and adobe acrobat pro

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Tottenham1975

Thunderbird and adobe acrobat pro

Post by Tottenham1975 »

Hi there
I have recently bought adobe arcrobat pro having previously just having the normal adobe (free version.)
However now when I compose an email and attach a pdf when I click on the pdf nothing happens and it does not open which seems strange.
It is fine when I open pdfs I receive and it is fine when I open them from dropbox but the problem I have must be something to do with thunderbird, I rang adobe technical support and they confirmed this too.
Any help appreciated.
Kind Regards
Matt
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird and adobe acrobat pro

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Check that Acrobat Pro is identified as the helper program for PDF files in Thunderbird -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Actions_for_a ... file_types
Tottenham1975

Post by Tottenham1975 »

Thanks, I think the problem lies with that the 'attachments' is greyed out when I click on the menu button on the top right and I cant make acrobat pro be the helper program
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you looked into editing the file mimeTypes.rdf as suggested in that article?
Tottenham1975

Post by Tottenham1975 »

Will have a look again, just sounded a bit confusing to someone who isn’t very technical.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The KB article is out of date. mimetypes.rdf has been replaced by handlers.json. I think that occurred with version 60.*. Mine contains:

{"defaultHandlersVersion":{},"mimeTypes":{"image/jpeg":{"action":4,"extensions":["jpg"]},"application/pdf":{"action":4,"extensions":["pdf"]}},"schemes":{}}

while tools -> options -> attachments shows I use the 64 bit version of irfanview for jpeg files and nitro reader 5 for PDF documents. None of the files in the profile appear to mention those two apps, probably because windows is configured to use them by default for those file types.

I suggest you delete the handlers.json file in your profile, restart Thunderbird (which will replace it with a file using default values), and then re-specify what apps you want to use with attachments via opening a .pdf attachment in an existing message and telling it to keep the setting. No need to edit a handlers.json file.