How could one search for folders in the bookmarks?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Eckard

Re: How could one search for folders in the bookmarks?

Post by Eckard »

Hi,
Dirki wrote:How could one search for folders here
> https://i.imgur.com/KqSnuFw.png
or elsewhere to open all bookmarks in such a folder with a single click?
There is no "search for folder xyzabc" feature available in the Bookmarks Library, you can only search for bookmarks.
You may vote for this bug Bug 406157 "Cannot search for bookmark folders in Library or bookmarks sidebar (searching for folders in "Organize bookmarks" returns no results, doesn't find folder names)"
Maybe this feature will be implemented in a future Firefox version ?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can do a simple search in the left panel in the Library by clicking in the folder pane to set focus to the folder tree.
If you click the first or first two letters of the folder name quickly enough then Firefox will jump to the next occurrence (mo -> mozilla) starting with the current position.
This also works in the sidebar and for other tree children lists, but you can only find content in expanded folders (i.e the folder needs to be visible).
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

Hello!
Maybe this feature will be implemented in a future Firefox version ?
Alright, thank you for the link.
You can do a simple search in the left panel in the Library by clicking in the folder pane to set focus to the folder tree.
I can search for folders in the CTRL+Q view but I cannot open all the bookmarks in a folder with a single click.
- Windows 11 Home, 22H2, 64bit
- newest stable portable Firefox (not beta)
- newest stable portable Thunderbird (not beta)
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

Dirki wrote: I can search for folders in the CTRL+Q view but I cannot open all the bookmarks in a folder with a single click.
Not with a "single" click, but did you try a right-click on a folder then selecting "Open All in Tabs" ("Alle in Tabs öffnen") in the context menu ?

LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Dirki,
If you take a look at the image I posted, you will see that it shows the Bookmarks Toolbar.
That Bookmarks Toolbar holds a lot of folders etc.
Left click any one & from the newly displayed MENU......Select..."OPEN ALL IN TABS" at the bottom.

It's self explanatory.

Do you NOT have your Bookmarks Toolbar displayed showing your Bookmarks &/or a lot of Folders?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

Not with a "single" click, but did you try a right-click on a folder then selecting "Open All in Tabs" ("Alle in Tabs öffnen") in the context menu ?
Yes yes, I tried it but I could not find such an option.

Hello LIMPET235!
If you take a look at the image I posted, you will see that it shows the Bookmarks Toolbar.
Yes yes, I did. It is the Bookmarks Toolbar of "Bookmark search plus 2" like shown on my previous screenshots, right?
Left click any one & from the newly displayed MENU......Select..."OPEN ALL IN TABS" at the bottom.
When I left click there does not appear a context menu or such item to open all in tabs.
Do you NOT have your Bookmarks Toolbar displayed showing your Bookmarks &/or a lot of Folders?
No no, the bookmarks are always shown when I open Bookmark search plus 2 or the Firefox bookmarks window (CTRL+SHIFT+B).
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Please do NOT select the Bookmark search + 2 extension.
Just use the Bookmarks Toolbar as per the image & choose one folder & left click it to open the drop down MENU.

Hit "Open all in Tabs" (at the bottom) & all the contained bookmarks will open.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

Hello,

Oops, that one is meant, if only I had known (here it is a right mouse click by the way). Yes, to open all the bookmarks in a folder never was a problem there, but to search for folders ...well, so how can I search for folders there?
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

@Dirki:
what is called "Bookmarks Toolbar" in the English Firefox version corresponds to the "Lesezeichen-Symbolleiste" in the German FF version (in the red frame of my screenshot) :

It may contain single bookmarks and/or folders containing each several bookmarks. The left click on such a folder displays the bookmarks it contains:

You can display/hide it via the menu "Ansicht" > "Symbolleisten" :

Dirki

Post by Dirki »

what is called "Bookmarks Toolbar" in the English Firefox version corresponds to the "Lesezeichen-Symbolleiste" in the German FF version (in the red frame of my screenshot) :
Yes, it is the "Lesezeichen-Symbolleiste", this one:

It may contain single bookmarks and/or folders containing each several bookmarks. The left click on such a folder displays the bookmarks it contains:
Yes, the same here.
You can display/hide it via the menu "Ansicht" > "Symbolleisten" :
Yes, here the same.
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

By the way:
I can search for folders in the CTRL+Q view but I cannot open all the bookmarks in a folder with a single click.
This option was meant:

The last one, it opens all bookmarks with a single click. But the translation or meaning (to English as well) either is wrong or not understandable or has another sense I do not get.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can also middle-click a folder to open all bookmarks in this folder in tabs.
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

With the wheel in the middle, between the right and left button, but a click with it does not do it. It can open a bookmark in a new tab instead of a left click opening it in the same tab.