URGENT: update for FireFox needed now!?! What abouty SM?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
-Px-

Re: URGENT: update for FireFox needed now!?! What abouty SM?

Post by -Px- »

Taking into account that 2.53.1 is just around the corner, the only build of 2.49.x branch with fix needed is Win32 for remaining WinXP users. From my point of view it can be done in parallel with 2.53.1 processing
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

frg wrote:It is a free world. No one is forced to use SeaMonkey. Use whatever you want to use but if you do not contribute with code or helping to actually get releases out don't tell me what to do. It is a community project and the remaining devs do it all in their spare time. And I say I miss broader support from the community. Usually the same people helping out and ausually the same people demanding the moon.
  • :-k Holy crap, m8, you look like a shredded vinyl, repeating the same story all the time. Over and over again ...

And, who are you to tell me what I can do or say in a public discussion and support forum like this one ... ???

You've answered rambling, on three different occasions, without once clarifying what the reason is for
    not releasing an update for SeaMonkey 2.49.5
frg wrote:Please close. This discussion goes nowhere and I get more angry by the minute.
  • By the way, if you don't like criticism, I feel sorry for you. :lol:

I'm in a discussion and support forum, where I can freely say what I want (politely and respectfully).
    So far, I have been totally correct with you, in my answers. So, don't whine to a moderator, to close this thread. Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

frg wrote: In the wild you find these type of nasties usually on bad obscure websites or in ads served by compromised ad servers.
For those of us who are pretty helpless, can we take a level of comfort from this quote-back assessment? If we don't frequent such sites, are we fairly safe?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
ndebord wrote:... the timing of this bug is unfortunate as SM 2.53.xx is almost a reality.
Well, this is no ordinary bug, but an actively exploited critical security issue. Plus, in my opinion, 2.53 may be almost a reality but it's also not yet ready for prime time at the moment.

There will come a time in SeaMonkey's future when security issues just cannot be fixed, but we're not at that point yet. Therefore a 'Let them eat cake' attitude to users of the existing official version of SeaMonkey is far from ideal.

Users of software have the right to bring up issues of things that concern them. It is the heat of the particular kitchen we have chosen to work in.

The answer to users (especially ones regarding a critical security issue!) is never '
Please close. This discussion goes nowhere and I get more angry by the minute.', as above.

Even I never talk to users like that. :)
Frank,

Well, SM has been hung out to dry for many years now and if you are one of those who like it so much that you are willing to live on the edge, it is on you, or in my case, me. I shall move to 2.53.xx soon, perhaps sooner than I wished for yesterday.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

ElTxolo wrote: You've answered rambling, on three different occasions, without once clarifying what the reason is for
not releasing an update for SeaMonkey 2.49.5
Yes he did. There's not enough manpower to backport the fix and test 2.49.6 while also preparing 2.53.1 for release. And 2.53 is almost there, so it is better to focus the very limited resources available there instead of delaying it AGAIN.
Specifically, he said "By the time we do 2.49.6 we would have 2.53.1 anyway. "

You just don't like the answer, and air this dislike in a caustic manner.
therube

Post by therube »

Peter wrote:For those of us who are pretty helpless, can we take a level of comfort from this quote-back assessment?
We are all helpless.
Except for those who have read & understand the bug & the implications thereof, we are in no position to comment or theorize.
And as the bug is not public...
If we don't frequent such sites, are we fairly safe?
There is no such thing as "such sites", so no.

As you are running Win7, as a version of SeaMonkey with the fix is available for you, I'd say the only prudent thing to do is to backup what you have, download the latest version of 2.53 from Bill's site & run with that until we have an actual (2.53) release.

(I had been running both 2.49 & 2.53. Now switched all to 2.53 [except for OS where 2.53 is not supported; i.e. XP - & with that I hope I don't run into "such sites"].)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

What lack of manpower and resources is preventing the SeaMonkey userbase not even being made aware of the current security problem and possible solution, i.e. updating to an unofficial build, here? - https://www.seamonkey-project.org/news
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

LordOfTheBored wrote: ... Yes he did ...
  • :-k Are you sure?

I don't think so. Then, it seems to me that this guy is fooling all SeaMonkey 2.49.5 users (over 95%):
    SeaMonkey news#2019-08-04 wrote:
    .... Unless a catastrophic bug is discovered 2.49.5 will be the last ESR 52 based version ....
    A critical security issue, that affects over 95% of users, does NOT seem important enough to you ... #-o

From what I see, in your 'user agent' you don't give a stuff. Image

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Lightning/5.4

8-)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Frank Lion wrote:What lack of manpower and resources is preventing the SeaMonkey userbase not even being made aware of the current security problem and possible solution, i.e. updating to an unofficial build, here? - https://www.seamonkey-project.org/news
    Frank, this guy is not going to publish ANYTHING in the SeaMonkey News section, because he has already shown,
    that he does NOT care about the security of the users. Image

Cheers!!! Image

~
therube

Post by therube »

All right, EASE UP!

The world is not perfect.
We should all be very appreciative for what we do have (with SeaMonkey & life in general).

Some valid point have been made, yes.
Maybe some things can change.
But that does not negate what the situation is, currently.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

ElTxolo wrote: From what I see, in your 'user agent' you don't give a stuff. Image

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Lightning/5.4
Which part?