Junk filter gives many false positives

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hcgoddard

Junk filter gives many false positives

Post by hcgoddard »

I have set up filters for the messages from news and forum sites that I read regularly. Even though I set them to filter on the sender's email address, the name of the forum or site, the name of the individuals writing the posts, the junk filter always puts them in junk, even though they are set to go to the various named subfolders.

Any solutions?
makaiguy

Re: Junk filter gives many false positives

Post by makaiguy »

Do you train the filter database by marking them as not junk?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
hcgoddard

Post by hcgoddard »

I do train the filter. In one case, I have it set up to filter on five different items: sending address, name, etc. And it is set to filter before moving to junk.

Two of the accounts are IMAP, the other Exchange. I see that this problem for this case of five filters is on Exchange. But I have other filters on this same Exchange account that work fine.
A puzzle.
hcgoddard

Post by hcgoddard »

This may be the problem. For the case of five filters, I see that it was set to match "all of the following", instead of "any of the following".

I will report back in a few days.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

hcgoddard wrote:I do train the filter. In one case, I have it set up to filter on five different items: sending address, name, etc. And it is set to filter before moving to junk.

Two of the accounts are IMAP, the other Exchange. I see that this problem for this case of five filters is on Exchange. But I have other filters on this same Exchange account that work fine.
A puzzle.
Also check whether the messages are being marked as Junk/Spam on the server before Thunderbird has access to them.
hcgoddard

Post by hcgoddard »

I think the problem was due entirely to having checked "Match all of the following" instead of "Match any of the following".

Thanks for your suggestions.