How to change input box background color (Linux)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
earther

How to change input box background color (Linux)

Post by earther »

I am using 68.4.0esr (32-bit) on Devuan GNU-linux. After the latest upgrade, the login and other input boxes now turn a rather hideous orange/gold color when data is entered. I searched for that color in about:config but not found. Is there some userChrome magic that will allow me to select a different color? Thanks.

VERY happy to see that this forum still lives . . .
Last edited by DanRaisch on January 16th, 2020, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
Frank Lion

Re: How to change input box background color (Linux)

Post by Frank Lion »

Change your OS theme to something really dull and see if the effect persists and then put the original back on and let me know what you've found.

If it doesn't persist then it's OS theme dependent and I have a fix for that...somewhere.

If it does persist, I've also done a userChrome.css fix for that. No idea if that'll work on present-day Firefox though.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
earther

Post by earther »

Frank Lion wrote:Change your OS theme to something really dull and see if the effect persists and then put the original back on and let me know what you've found.

If it doesn't persist then it's OS theme dependent and I have a fix for that...somewhere.

If it does persist, I've also done a userChrome.css fix for that. No idea if that'll work on present-day Firefox though.
It has persisted since I upgraded FF a few days ago. This is the default Devuan Cinnabar theme (that I designed) that is about-to-be-released with Devuan Beowulf 3.0.0. I have been using it for about a year even though I'm still on Jessie. I have just double-checked all the gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 files for #FFEBBC and it is nowhere to be found. Not that I would have let that nastiness slip past me. :D So yes, a userChrome fix would be appreciated. Thanks, Frank.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

earther wrote: I have just double-checked all the gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 files for #FFEBBC and it is nowhere to be found.
With commands such as 'shade' floating around in Linux theme coding, then you often will not see the resulting hex color in the original code. Even so, so long as you have a readable input box in Firefox (light background/dark test) then probably best to leave as is, so as to not break other OS areas.

Although the Linux Firefox UI coding is better than in M$ stuff, these guys could never figure if they were doing a native UI or not. That's why you used to get, and maybe still do, black backgrounds with black text on Firefox input boxes, with dark OS themes. Firefox forced the font colour and left the OS to do the background!

My userContent.css and userContent.css fix for this is at least 8+ years ago, but I archive all my code, so it'll be here somewhere. I'll have a look tomorrow.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
earther

Post by earther »

Much appreciated. I doubt that "shade" could produce that color from the cinnabar color palette as I did have to alter the shade values to get various hilights/hovers etc. to look right.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Not all of this will be relevant and it's possible the -moz prefixes are now no longer needed. I've also left in all the original commenting out.

This first one is in userContent.css -

Code: Select all

::-moz-selection {
	background:#6B7E8F; 
	color: white;
}

::selection {
}

/*#category-extension > .category-icon {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://mozapps/skin/extensions/extensionGeneric.png") !important;
}

#category-theme > .category-icon {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://mozapps/skin/extensions/themeGeneric.png") !important;
}*/

/*#searchFilter*/ .textbox-input::-moz-placeholder,
/*#searchFilter*/ .textbox-input:-moz-placeholder {
  color: transparent !important;}

input:-moz-placeholder,
textarea:-moz-placeholder {

input:-moz-placeholder > .anonymous-div:not(.placeholder),
textarea:-moz-placeholder > .anonymous-div:not(.placeholder) {

/*......................................................*/

Here's userChrome.css and I do recall this one has to go above the namespace line --

Code: Select all

[code]

::-moz-selection {
}

::selection {
}

#searchbar .autocomplete-textbox:-moz-placeholder,#searchbar .autocomplete-textbox::-moz-placeholder,#urlbar .autocomplete-textbox:-moz-placeholder,#urlbar .autocomplete-textbox::-moz-placeholder { 

/*#searchFilter*/ .textbox-input::-moz-placeholder,
/*#searchFilter*/ .textbox-input:-moz-placeholder {

/*#searchFilter*/ .textbox-textarea::-moz-placeholder,
/*#searchFilter*/ .textbox-textarea:-moz-placeholder {

input:-moz-placeholder,
textarea:-moz-placeholder {
  color: transparent !important;
}

input:-moz-placeholder > .anonymous-div:not(.placeholder),
textarea:-moz-placeholder > .anonymous-div:not(.placeholder) {
  color: transparent !important;
}

/*......................................................*/
.textbox-input, 
.textbox-textarea,label {
    font:normal 11px bitstream !important;
/*font-weight: 400 !important;*/ }

input:-moz-read-write,
textarea:-moz-read-write {
-moz-appearance : none !important;
/*color: #000000 !important ;*/
/*background: #FFFFFF !important;*/
}

*.textbox-input, 
*.textbox-textarea {
	background-color: transparent;
	/*color: #000000;*/
	border: none !important;
	margin: 0px ;
	margin-top: auto;
	margin-bottom: auto;
	padding: 0px ;
	font:normal 11px bitstream !important;
}

/*.textbox-input, 
.textbox-textarea {
    font:normal 12px Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif !important;
font-weight: 400 !important;}
*/
[/code]
earther

Post by earther »

Thanks, Frank. That's going to take a while to slog through. Will report if I can get something to work.