Getting rid of this

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
widgetwilk

Getting rid of this

Post by widgetwilk »

Is there a way of getting rid of this, I am getting all my emails OK, but it is annoying.
small pop up saying 'Mail Server mail.plus.net is not an IMAP4 mail server'
LIMPET235

Re: Getting rid of this

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know of a way to disable that error message, though sometimes you can avoid triggering it.

Sometimes Thunderbird will suddenly display a Mail server xyz is not an IMAP4 Server error message, despite the fact the IMAP server supports IMAP v4.1, and had been working okay. It appears to be a generic error message for IMAP accounts, that is sometimes displayed when Thunderbird can't map the error to another error message. While you may see it when it tries to connect to the mail server, its usually a transient error when you do something in quick succession like deleting multiple messages. It can also occur when Thunderbird asks the mail server whats its capabilities are, and it gets a answer it doesn't understand.

Who is your email provider?
What seems to trigger this error message? i.e. what were you doing? Is it repeatable upon demand?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Not_an_IMAP4_server

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &sk=t&sd=a (very old thread) suggests it can occur due to your anti-virus scanner. What happens if you uninstall it and rely upon Windows Defender for a while? Windows Defender has gotten pretty good, I got rid of my anti-virus scanner (BitDefender) and switched to it about a year ago.
widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

My provider is Plusnet, had trouble connecting to Thunderbird, but phoned and with there help it is working, but this message is just annoying. thanks for reply
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/ ... net-email/ says they don't support SSL/TLS. If the new account wizard didn't already select it when you added the account, you might want to try selecting StartTLS as the connection security method in the IMAP accounts server settings. If that works then you'll have a secure connection to the IMAP server. Not what you were asking about, but I thought I'd mention it.

What seems to trigger the error message? i.e. does it occur just when you start Thunderbird or does it frequently occur after you do something specific ?
widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

It appears as I trigger Thunderbird mail, but it just seems to be there for no reason, as I can still received mail sent to the Plusnet address, as I said it is just 'annoying'
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Not a solution per se, but you could use a macro program like autohotkey, autoIt, or macro express to close the window or move it off screen automatically any time it appears.
widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

How do I do that???
morat

Post by morat »

There is no preference to suppress the message.

Reference
http://searchfox.org/comm-central/searc ... erNotImap4
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

widgetwilk wrote:How do I do that???
Go to an autohotkey forum and ask someone to help you create an executable macro that waits for a window with the name of the annoying pop up and then closes the window any time it appears. The put that executable in your startup folder.

Autohotkey is free. I use Macro Express which is not free. I'm not familiar with autohotkey scripting language.