Slow in finding URLs (Solved)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

Slow in finding URLs (Solved)

Post by John Liebson »

Windows 10 Home Version 109 (OS Build 13863.628); Fx 72.0.2964-bit) has become sluggish in loading URLs, sites that MS Edge loads immediately. Would installing a new copy of Fx remedy this?

Sometimes some sites will load quickly, others not so; sometimes everything is slow.
Last edited by John Liebson on February 8th, 2020, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Slow in finding URLs

Post by DanRaisch »

That kind of performance could indicate an issue with security software. What are you running?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

It's Win 10 version 1909 and the OP already knows the troubleshooting routine...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... st+profile
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:That kind of performance could indicate an issue with security software. What are you running?
Comodo Firewall; disabling did not help. Superantispyware and Malwarebyes: Have not tried disabling. With the same security software, all has been fine in general: I have sometimes had to restart Fx once or twice and problem would go away, but not today.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

mightyglydd wrote:It's Win 10 version 1909 and the OP already knows the troubleshooting routine...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... st+profile
Test profile equally bad. Did flush dns, no help, have not yet done other things in referenced thread.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Changing profiles would not resolve a security software issue with Firefox and disabling a firewall often only means disabling the interface but not the scanning/blocking functions. You could try shutting down Firefox, removing all reference to the browser in Comodo's permissions lists, rebooting the system and then starting up Firefox. That could force Comodo to recognize the current version of Firefox as an authorized program if it does not fully do so now.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

With Comodo Firewall suspended, and Superantispyware and Malwarebytes off, some sites better, others not at all. Checked same sites with MS Edge, no problems, it is only Fx that is having problems loading URLs. I shall ask again if installing a new copy of Fx is worth trying.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:Changing profiles would not resolve a security software issue with Firefox and disabling a firewall often only means disabling the interface but not the scanning/blocking functions. You could try shutting down Firefox, removing all reference to the browser in Comodo's permissions lists, rebooting the system and then starting up Firefox. That could force Comodo to recognize the current version of Firefox as an authorized program if it does not fully do so now.
Poor timing on your part: This arrived as I was posting a new message...

I question Comodo being the problem, given that the extreme slowdowns only started this morning. Is it, nonetheless, possible that Comodo is the culprit? I just took a quick look at Comodo, did not find its permissions list; it has been a long time since I did that, and updates have changed the program.

All was fine late yesterday afternoon, when I last used Fx before the computer going to sleep and my waking it today.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi John,
Try the following...
In COMODO, go to "BASIC VIEW" & look in "Blocked Applications" & "Unrecogized Files."

Try a PURGE first, then UNBLOCK any of your known applications.
Afterwards...
Right click the "Unrecognized" files that you know to be O.K. to "TRUSTED" via the Context Menu that pops up.

May help a tad?

Takes a while to run both, depending on your system.

Whilst in BASIC VIEW, you can also go to "Tasks" > "Firewall Tasks" & check that Firefox is an ALLOWED APPLICATION.

PTN...
If you have a "new" program installed & when you run it for the first time...
COMODO should place a green box around it.
COMODO has blocked/sandboxed it & it will stay in there until you Unblock it.
This is what a good firewall should do.....Depending on what prefs/options you have set....of course.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
John Liebson

Re: Slow in finding URLs (Solved)

Post by John Liebson »

Thanks to all, problem has been solved. I am not entirely sure what caused the slowdown, and even less why it affected Fx so badly. Apparently, a data file for one program had been corrupted, and when I tried today to open the program which tried to load that file automatically, it would not do so. I reinstalled it, it still would not start, but I did find a "Safe Mode" workaround, but by then, and also apparently, the failed startup attempt affected Fx.

Rebooted, used the safe-mode start-up option, downloaded a recently-saved copy of the corrupt file, program ran, and a few minutes later, so too did Fx. the latter quickly once again.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

In plain English what the heck does that mean, what's the NAME of the program, WHICH data File? ](*,)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

mightyglydd wrote:In plain English what the heck does that mean, what's the NAME of the program, WHICH data File? ](*,)
Quicken and its data files. I just noticed that Tb is also much better now.