Sending password did not succeed. mail server says invalid

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
asquaredb

Sending password did not succeed. mail server says invalid

Post by asquaredb »

Sending of password for user xxxxx@btinternet.com did not succeed. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: invalid user or password.
This is the message I get when I try to login to Tbird. Tbird worked one morning - now it won't. I have tried everything I know.
The password for my bt account works OK. I know the username is correct.
Can anyone suggest anything else?
DanRaisch

Re: Sending password did not succeed. mail server says inval

Post by DanRaisch »

If you have the password for that account saved in Thunderbird, try deleting that saved value. Use menu path Tools->Options->Security->Password->Saved passwords button. Delete the entry for that BTInternet account, then close and restart Thunderbird to clear the password from any cache. Try again to Get Mail for that account.
asquaredb

Post by asquaredb »

Thanks.
I have already deleted this account so, although I was able to clear the saved password, I did not have an account inplace to retry.
So, when I try to set up that original account again, I go through the appropriate menus but I then get the same old error message.
asquaredb

Post by asquaredb »

A further thought has occured to me. If I reset my BT password for this account then the fact that it is a completely new password might allow Tbird to finally recognise it.
I am slightly chary of doing this as I do have at the moment a working ststem of emails via BT mail.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What old error message are you getting after deleting and recreating the account?
asquaredb

Post by asquaredb »

The same error message I got as shown at start of this thread
Sending of password for user xxxxx@btinternet.com did not succeed. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: invalid user or password.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just tried to get to the BTInternet support page to check the required settings and got the following in a pop-up:

BTInternet wrote:Please bear with us

We are aware of a problem with BT Mail that means some customers may not be able to log into their mailbox. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. We’re sorry for any inconvenience.

* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which one(s)?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choices for "Connection security" and "Authentication method" under Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
asquaredb

Post by asquaredb »

Hi Dan,
Account is not set up as I am unable to create a new account in Tbird.
The account is there and available using BTMail however and is set up as
Pop (I think - can't find details at the moment)
server name is mail.btinternet.com
Port number 993
SSL/TLS
Normal password
outgoing smpt is also on mail.btinternet.com on port 465

The message you got from BTInternet was due to the fact that the server was down for much of today. It is however, now back to normal and working OK.
It still bugs me enormously that I can't create a new account in TBird - as mentioned at the beginning
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, the port value should be 995 according to BTInteret's pages ( http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/deta ... servers%3F )
For user name, did you try to enter your full BTInternet password, or just the bit before the @ symbol?

By the way, I'm still seeing that pop up message when I access that support page.
asquaredb

Post by asquaredb »

Hi Dan,
First of all the good news.
I have managed to get TBird working again. I took a deep breath, crossed everything, and changed my BT password.
It did not lose my mail account in BT as I feared.
Then when I went back to TBird and created a new account (actually my original one which you remember I had deleted) and set this to the new BT password.
And it worked like a charm.
I now have TBird working again.
So I did not bother to check out the port number.
Also, BT were still having problems but my area seems to be in the clear.
Thank you for your time and effort. I think we can probably close this thread now.
asquaredb
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. Glad to hear you were successful in that.
pargolfer

Post by pargolfer »

This is interesting, as I have the same problem setting up my wife's account, after moving to a new PC.
I have done all the steps you have outlined without much luck, so will give it a go.
I'm a retired IT Controller and never had any problem in the past it could well be my version of TB 68.4.2 (64bit), which is still a bit buggy.

I have done exactly what you said, cleared all old passwords out of TB and changed present password on BT Mail account.
Re-setup new email and asked for mail, it just sat there trying to log in. So the old fix, stopped and re-started TB.

Then it all worked.

Thanks for your help, I've been in IT since the very beginning and you are never too old to learn.

Thanks.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Glad it all worked out fine for you, but please check the date before posting to
these old threads.
This one died on 3rd Oct 2014.
Thank you.

Locking due to old age.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)