HOW TO EXPORT SEAMONKEY MAIL TO APPLE MAIL

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
kerft

Re: HOW TO EXPORT SEAMONKEY MAIL TO APPLE MAIL

Post by kerft »

If you do more experiments, use a different folder, not that same 65 email one, in case there is some unusual aspect of a broken attachment or strange character that happens to be in that folder.
Instead of doing more tests with mbox files, I would try exporting and importing eml files, created by right clicking all emails in a folder and doing save, or importexport tools can create eml files also.

Seamonkey will work with the current as of now MacOS, at least version 2.53.x will. You do not need to stay on an old MacOS version or old computer to keep it working. Backup your whole system first is ideal. Also, it should be easy to migrate to Thunderbird and keep all your emails, if that ever proves useful or necessary.
ruta

Post by ruta »

use a different folder,
I started using different folders long ago.
exporting and importing eml files
How do you suggest I shall create 38,000+ eml files?

Somebody suggested I switch over to "Outlook for Mac" instead of APPLE MAIL.
Before I purchase Outlook and waste time in more experiments, can you please comment about this idea and advise if SM files can migrated to it in a satisfactory manner?
Tks
kerft

Post by kerft »

If a few eml files export and import successfully, then maybe importexport tools has an "export eml with structure / folders" option to create all the folders in a backup of eml files in one click. If not, with use of ctrl-A to select all, even creating up to 200 folders could be done in a few hours, or a local youth could be hired.

This site https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lif ... search/928 seems to say that security support for Office 2019 is only until 2023. https://www.computerworld.com/article/2 ... pport.html I've heard Outlook is insecure, buggy, poorly designed and expensive. Can it import your, or any eml or mbox files, on mac? I don't know.

Have you tried Apple Mail enough (you can use a dummy temporary email account for testing and using search) to see if you prefer it to Seamonkey or Thunderbird? If you prefer Seamonkey or Thunderbird, they do work even on MacOS Catalina (use 2.53 though). And if they both die, you might still be able to use them without security patches. Or, at that time, you could hire a real expert who could at worst set up a private imap server to use as a transfer medium for your emails. Or, if that happens you can declare an "end of an era", pick an easy to remember switchover date like the first of a month and - use Apple mail, without the bloat of importing any of your old messages, for new mail, and still run Thunderbird/Seamonkey to access your old mail when needed. Just change the server in Seamonkey to a fake email server to prevent it from taking the new mail.
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you,
1. Inspite of my efforts, I did not succeed in creating eml files. Can you please elaborate on how to do that (the two options)? I am very keen on trying it.
2. I tried APPLE MAIL and it's OK. The major advantage of it is that using it will relieve me from the worry that one day Apple computers will make SM obsolete.
3. SM is also not that good in surfing, especially in Hebrew, in situations of filling-in on-line forms of Israeli institutions. In such cases I have to switch over to FireFox or Google Chrome and continue from there. It's a pain in the ....
4. While I am not a security freak I do not like the idea of IMap.
5. In my ongoing business and personal situations, declaring an "end of an era" will be be very cumbersome and produce time consuming situations.
6. I noted yr advice on Outlook. Very sad.
Tks again
kerft

Post by kerft »

1. Hopefully someone else can give you a clearer answer about eml files. This is a screenshot of importexporttools NG options, https://addons.thunderbird.net/user-med ... 1563577341 The box for "export folders as single files" is the one that I think will create the eml files. But other details I do not know.

The manual method (perhaps) is to get the "right click" menu on one message at first and pick save. It should save to eml. To do this for a whole folder at once, go to the edit menu in the menu bar, pick select all. Then right click/ctrl-click one of the now highlighted messages and save, it should save all that folder to lots of eml files. For testing this should give a few emls to try. If those can then be imported successfully, exporting all with importexporttools should be much easier, but if the manual method does have some reason to use it, for each folder as you save it you will name and create its subfolder in the backup.
2. If you strongly prefer Apple Mail, there are many commercial email conversion programs that claim to be able to import mbox or eml or maildir messages into Apple Mail. If you strongly prefer Thunderbird or Seamonkey, "there are no immediate plans to deprecate" them (joke).
3. You can use different software for browsing and email.
4. The suggestion is to use an imap server like one would use a flash drive, as a place to copy to and from just once. Not permanently switching to using imap. If importexporttools or another commercial converter did the job, fine, but when one tool fails it is good to have another one.
5. Perhaps you will find a way to do the import. If someday the need arises, old or incompatible software could be run in a virtual machine, and using Mac as the host you could choose any of old MacOS, Windows, or Linux as the guest operating system. Many people are going to be trying to do this to run 32-bit Adobe software so there will be lots of tutorials.
6. You can read reviews and support policies about Outlook. If the one time purchase Outlook 2019 for Mac only gets 5 years of support, the yearly subscription Office 365 may still be supported. Windows 10 computers include a free program called Mail.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:Thank you,
1. Inspite of my efforts, I did not succeed in creating eml files. Can you please elaborate on how to do that (the two options)? I am very keen on trying it.
2. I tried APPLE MAIL and it's OK. The major advantage of it is that using it will relieve me from the worry that one day Apple computers will make SM obsolete.
How to export messages as EML files from SeaMonkey using "ImportExportTools":
1) install extension (AFAIR you have it already)
2) click RMB (Right Mouse Button) on folder, e.g. "Inbox" -> (click or hover LMB over) "ImportExportTools" -> Export all messages in the folder -> EML format -> choose folder where will be created by IET new folder named after SeaMonkey e-mail account's folder name with date of creation, e.g. "Inbox_20200215-1837"

3) import to Apple Mail :wink:

How to import EML file(-s) into Apple Mail:
https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+m ... gws_rd=ssl

I can't test it but many sites suggests that proper converter is required. I didn't find free tool. Looks like this one is compatible with MacOS X 10.9:
https://www.sysinfotools.com/mac/eml-converter.php

Demo version is limited to 25 messages. Choose problematic ones (these not imported when you tried MBOX import) and check if it works.

EDIT: Maybe for this demo test you should save single (problematic) messages using SeaMonkey function only:
Menu -> File -> Save As -> File (Ctrl+S)
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

THANK YOU in big capital letters.
I am pleased to say that following your clear instructions I made a tremendous progress.
Converting messages to EML docuemts was piece of cake, as was importing them to Apple Mail (AM). For the importation I selected IMPORT DATA FROM APPLE MAIL. (the options for Thunder Bird and Mozilla dis not work).
I commenced experimenting with a folder of 12 emails, all in English. Score was 100% success. I followed with another folder of 267 emails, all in English as well, with same result.
Then my appetite increased: I tried a folder comprising of 1485 emails, all in Hebrew.
They all migrated without a hitch.
I did not stop at that and tried 6 folders in one go. They all glided serenely into the bosom of AM.
Looks very good, but there’s a fly in the ointment.
The names of the imported folders do not appear in AM in the Folder pane – Left column. I wish I could send you a pic of that as an attachment but I can't find the attachment button.
The problem is that I cannot even enter those folders names manually.
Well, as you brought me that close to the Promised Land, can you please remove the final obstacle?
Thank you also for the two URLs and instructions at the bottom of your last note. I'll but them on the back burner for the time being.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:Looks very good, but there’s a fly in the ointment.
The names of the imported folders do not appear in AM in the Folder pane – Left column. I wish I could send you a pic of that as an attachment but I can't find the attachment button.
The problem is that I cannot even enter those folders names manually.
Well, as you brought me that close to the Promised Land, can you please remove the final obstacle?
Thank you also for the two URLs and instructions at the bottom of your last note. I'll but them on the back burner for the time being.
Did you try EML converter software? Maybe it will solve problems with folder names? I'm sorry but I'm not Apple user and I can't test it.

Or you can try this:
1) import EML files from one folder,
2) create new folder under Apple Mail using name of old folder (used in SeaMonkey),
3) move all messages from "import" folder to newly created AM folder,
4) if it works (new folder with all messages is visible in "Folder pane - Left column") then repeat 300 times... :wink:

One of links above... hmm... this one:
https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/10/11/mail ... cos-10-15/
... is about problems with Apple Mail after MacOS X update. You're not safe when using AM instead of SeaMonkey. Remember to make regular backups (especially before update).

Within days will be available new SeaMonkey 2.53.1 and some websites will work better than under 2.49.5 so you can import messages to Apple Mail to practice such thing but then still use SeaMonkey.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you.
No, I did not try EML converter software. I just followed your operational instructions.
I intend to purchase a new MacBook Pro in June-July, hence I decided to shelf my migration from SM until after I shall get the new machine up and going. Perhaps the combination of new machine and SM 2.53,1 will save me that repetition of 300 times.
I shall of course try migration under 2.53.1 on the current machine and let you know the results.
P. S. How do I attach pics to posts in this forums?
Tks again
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:P. S. How do I attach pics to posts in this forums?
There is no such function as "attach" but you can upload image on some host and point to it in your post:
Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.
Some hosting services for images provides prepared links/URL with BBCode so you need just copy them and paste here, in your post.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

It is a pity. Much inferior facilities offer that simple and popular service.
ruta

Post by ruta »

TPR 75 Posted February 18th, 2020, 10:49 pm
Or you can try this:
1) import EML files from one folder,
2) create new folder under Apple Mail using name of old folder (used in SeaMonkey),
3) move all messages from "import" folder to newly created AM folder,
4) if it works (new folder with all messages is visible in "Folder pane - Left column") then repeat 300 times...

In fact there is no need for new folders to be created in Folder pane.
Folder name in AAPPLE MAIL can be changed : Click RMB (Right Mouse Button) on folder name, choose RENAME MAILBOX and end of story.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:Folder name in AAPPLE MAIL can be changed : Click RMB (Right Mouse Button) on folder name, choose RENAME MAILBOX and end of story.
Congratulation! Achievement unlocked... :lol:
--