Font size in emails suddenly very small

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
snoopcat

Post by snoopcat »

I have TB 60.9.1. Suddenly my font size is so small that I can't read it. I read some of the replies for this problem & most of them say go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Config Editor > Search: but I do not see the "Config Editor" after "Advanced."
I remember I had this problem a long time ago & inserted a small program which solved it. I can't remember how I did it but I recall it was very easy & solved the problem. I recognized some of words in the posts, Eg: " #folderTree, treechildren,::-moz-tree," etc. Would that work for me?
DanRaisch

Re: Font size in emails suddenly very small

Post by DanRaisch »

The "Config Editor" is accessed by clicking on a button with that title in the lower right quadrant of the dialogue box displayed after using the menu path you referred to.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

" I can't remember how I did it but I recall it was very easy & solved the problem. I recognized some of words in the posts, Eg: " #folderTree, treechildren,::-moz-tree," etc. Would that work for me?"

You might be thinking about setting the global font in userChrome.css. That effects the user interface, not the contents of the message. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14849275 for several possible solutions.

"Your problem might be that "allow messages to use other fonts" in tools -> options -> display -> formatting -> advanced is checked. Uncheck it, so that only your font settings are used. Setting "fonts for" to "other writing systems" also works around the problem of the font settings in tools -> options -> display -> formatting only effecting HTML messages due to their using CSS."
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Tools > Options > Display > Formatting > Advanced Then make the following settings for both "Latin" and "Other Writing Systems" (see top of dialog window to set these). Then for both of these select font sizes 17 for Sans Serif/Serif fonts and 14 for fixed width fonts. Set minimum font size to "None" (at least at first).

If this doesn't fix problem come back.
snoopcat

Post by snoopcat »

I upgraded to TB 68.3.0 hoping that would help but I have been struggling with this for hours. I found the "Config Editor after DanRaisch's comment of the obvious. My bad. I followed the posted suggestions but the Inbox font size hasn't budged. I made a userChrome.css file & copied the suggested code in it (below) but there was no change.
/*
* Make all the default font sizes 20 pt:
*/
* {
font-size: 20pt !important
}

Why does TB make this so difficult?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You're editing the wrong file if you want to change the font in the message. You use userChrome.css to modify the user interface and userContent.css to modify the contents of the message pane. They have to be in the chrome subdirectory.
You need to have the following as the first line of userChrome.css:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul");

I don't know if that requirement is gone with version 68.*.

You need to set toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets to true (for either css file) if you are using version 68.*

http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts

I recommend you do not edit a .css file to change the font size. See the prior posts about changing the settings for both "Latin" and "Other Writing Systems". http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14849275
snoopcat

Post by snoopcat »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it as soon as i finish breakfast. Cheers
snoopcat

Post by snoopcat »

I tried to change toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets in config but I can't figure out how to set to true. Also: how do I find font.size.variable.x-unicode
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

snoopcat wrote:I tried to change toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets in config but I can't figure out how to set to true.
Right click entry and toggle it to true.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
snoopcat

Post by snoopcat »

Sorry for the delay. Frank: Thanks for the advice with the "Toggle." tanstaafl;: In another post you you referenced "font.size.variable.x-unicode." Would that help me? I couldn't find it; maybe it's not in 68.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If it doesn't exist, add it. Not every setting that's predefined is displayed, you're only guaranteed to see ones that have been modified.

Right click on something in the main window of the config editor, select new, then integer, type font.size.variable.x-unicode , press OK and then enter the value.
colley30

Post by colley30 »

it's really quite simple; go Config Editor in Thunderbird, About Config.... paste this link layout.css.devPixelsPerPx

you will find the default value to be -1.0 change the value to 1.25 close Config Editor
snoopcat

Post by snoopcat »

That worked. Thanks to everybody.
snoopcat

Post by snoopcat »

SOLVED